Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California smog legal?

Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2013 raptor that I found in another state for a really great deal. I live in California and smog compliance here is very strict. Based on the smog sticker under the hood I'm assuming the Raptor is legal to be brought back to California and able to register it, but I just wanted to double check and verify with you guys that it is California complaint before I make the big investment. Can never be to sure I guess. Thanks and I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails California smog legal?-img_0462.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

My guess would be no. Most vehicles I see outside of California say 49 state compliant.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting mixed opinions some say no and some say yes. The ones that are saying yes states that on the sticker it says California certified so therefore is legal to be brought back to California. I read on dmv website if it says 49 states or federal that it's not, but if it says California certified it's able to be brought to California and register. The problem is there is no specific wording that is universal to understand and has wording that makes it straight forward and to the point.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

With that sticker you are good. You will still need the CA smog inspection just like any used vehicle bought in the state.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM

@Silver-Bolt thanks for the reply. I'm assuming I'm good as well. I feel like an idiot though, my wife who knows nothing about cars suggested to me, "Why don't you look under the hood of your old truck and see what it says, since it's California bought." Suddenly I felt like the stupidest person in the world that should be nominated for the Darwin award. I guess I got to excited since I've been wanting the Raptor for a while now and wasn't thinking so clearly.

So here is the pic of the smog of my truck that I bought in california. So I guess the comparison sums it all up.
Attached Thumbnails California smog legal?-img_0463.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Silver-Bolt (09-22-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 AM

Here is the sticker on my 2012 Lariat I got in New Mexico. Registered here in CA without any issues. All I had to do was get the truck weighed and a smog done.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:46 PM

@Flapenn I just smog it today and passed without issues. But a buddy also told me I probably had to get it weight. So do you think it's a good idea to weight it and have the papers for that so when I go to the CA DMV I have it all ready and not have to go back and forth. I live in LA and DMV here is a nightmare.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

too bad, would have been a good reason to leave that state... lol
Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 PM

@JumpinJax I think you can get it weighed first and go in with all the documents needed, im not 100% sure though. I just got a AAA membership and handled it all in a matter of minutes, my time is worth it to just pay for AAA to avoid the DMV LMAO. I also live in LA.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 PM

@zx12-iowa I traveled to Kansas City to pick it up and drove back to LA. Turned out to be a fun and interesting road trip. I landed in Kansas international in Missouri and when I landed I walked out to my driver that was waiting for me and there was only like 3-4 cars outside driving around and a few people waiting for a ride. Thought there was a zombie apocalypse or something lol because it was so quiet for an international airport. Here at LAX international it's a nightmare with cars bumper to bumper and people rushing in a frantic no matter what time of day.

Im jealous of the quietness out there you guys have and love how green everything is. Pace of life seems so lax. And best of all there's like no traffic out there. It was my first time being out there in middle America and I have to honestly say it definitely left me with something to think about. And property out there is definitley more bang for the buck versus here in California. I work from home anyways so it would be nice to wake up and see what I saw while I was out there, it would help fuel my creativity. Maybe middle America is calling out to me in the future.