Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a high mileage Raptor or....

Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Buying a high mileage Raptor or....

Hello everybody. I posted this on FRF too so it may be a repeat if you saw it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I've wanted a Raptor for as long as they've existed so I finally just drove a 2013 the other day and it was everything I had dreamed of and more. I'm pretty sure I had a chub for most of the drive. Now I've owned 20+ vehicles in my 20 years of driving so needless to say I get tired of things and move on quickly. I liked my Power Wagon but it had to go due to electrical gremlins. I have an FJ Cruiser now but I'm really tired of rowing the manual 6 speed and I miss having a truck. I don't do any high speed offroading but do need to be able to battle up to our cabin in 1-2' of snow at times and the wife isn't too keen on me thrashing around in her Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

My price range is $30k or less. Raptors in this range are generally 2011-12 with 120k-150K miles and I'll probably have to hunt pretty hard to find a clean one. Am I stupid for considering this? I feel like the fun factor is worth the risk in a way.......unless I get tired of it. So how fast did the fun wear off for you guys? If ever?

My other option was buy a pretty well equipped CPO 2015 F150 XLT I found for $30K. It's leveled but still a pretty boring vehicle in comparison. (I feel like this is the responsible choice)

Or a 2011-2014 F150 and spending $1500 on a small lift and new tires. I know this won't make it a Raptor but it will acomplish most of where I need to go off road and all in it will still be under $25K and probably have fewer miles than the Raptor. (This will save money up front but I might just keep dumping money trying to continually make it more capable). I've considered doing this with a used Tundra too but the E-locker on the ford is keeping it in front for now.

All opinions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

What is it about the Raptor that you like the most? The Mystique of the Raptor? The looks of the Raptor? The interior of the Raptor? The Off-Road capability of the Raptor? The Performance of the Raptor? Or the Whole Darn Thing?, Lol. If.....you're mainly interested in the power, You could go with an '11-'14 F150, say a Lariat or Platinum, that has the 6.2. In '11+'12? it was available in the Lariat and Platinum, and standard in the Lariat Limited, Harley Davidson and of course the Raptor. Then in the later years it changed a bit. It wouldn't look like a Raptor, have the suspension (plus it runs 4:11's) or the mystique, but it would have the power. I have an '11 Lariat that I special ordered with the 6.2, Max Tow and 3:73 LS rear.

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

That is a lot of $$$ to drop for a truck with that high of mileage...especially a Raptor (who knows how it was treated). You would be way better off, as Scarlet stated already, to find a low mileage truck...be it a '14 and older or '15 and newer and build it however you like. Lift, wheels/tires and suspension can be upgraded and, if done correctly, you could end up with a truck even more capable than a stock Raptor.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
What is it about the Raptor that you like the most? The Mystique of the Raptor? The looks of the Raptor? The interior of the Raptor? The Off-Road capability of the Raptor? The Performance of the Raptor? Or the Whole Darn Thing?, Lol.
It’s pretty much a wash on the looks. I think a well done modified f150 looks as good as a Raptor for the most part. I think the combo of the big V8 power application with the 4.10 gears and the incredible suspension just feels great. Almost like I feel like I shouldn’t be legal to drive on the street. Kinda like when I ride the ATV through the neighborhood to get the mail.
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain 1

It’s pretty much a wash on the looks. I think a well done modified f150 looks as good as a Raptor for the most part. I think the combo of the big V8 power application with the 4.10 gears and the incredible suspension just feels great. Almost like I feel like I shouldn’t be legal to drive on the street. Kinda like when I ride the ATV through the neighborhood to get the mail.

I can't offer you any real advice, but this got a serious chuckle out of me!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If your price range is under 30K, stay away from a Raptor, that is an awful financial decision just to have an overpriced truck. Raptors are for people without budgets. You can get a low mileage 15+ for under 30k, that will last you for a decade or more.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chadderkdawg
Raptors are for people without budgets.
lol I have one and i am definitely on a budget. funny though. to the op, id get the raptor, the trucks are pretty solid. only issues i have had with mine were the shocks needed rebuilt(supposed to be done every 50,000) and for some unknown reason the rear tires were bald after a trip into the woods. but the motor is solid haven't had an issue there, or any drive-train components. yeah you can get a newer truck cheaper, have better fuel mileage. but those trucks don't have off-road mode, which is raptor exclusive. and i am sure those new trucks cant do 100mph with the rear diff locked. like the op i wanted a raptor when they first came out, it was my dream truck. and 5 years later i snagged up a 2012. had 65 k on it. and i spent 38 k after all the other crap was added on like gap, and lifetime oil changes. I don't regret the purchase, the ride is nice, the exhaust is throaty, seats are comfy, sound system was better than my last. sure i spend more at the pump, and insurance went up too. but I am happy. and as for the when does the fun wear off, i don't understand the question cuz that has not happened yet! Nothing like doing 100mph on the beach, catching air over some dunes, and getting the perfect brody as a group of golfers records the shenanigans unfolding. ultimately id pick the raptor over the newer truck.
The following users liked this post:
Cattivo (04-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a high mileage Raptor or....