Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

Default 2013 Raptor

looks like pickuptruck.com caught a spyshot
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/12...ened-face.html
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

"All that would add up to a possible test unit for an EcoBoost Raptor..."
Awesome, if accurate! Sign me up.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I have lost all respect for PUT.com after this years mess.

To me, it looks like the whole truck is sitting higher, rear rims are different than front, rear tires look overinflated. My guess, probably projector lights. Grill won't change, that is a Raptor thing!

Ecoboost would be cool, but that is a stretch from the information we got from that picture.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Aus nichts wird nichts

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rear rims are 2012 spare tire rims and the fronts are 10 11's.
It doesn't have a skid plate so it makes it look higher. Don't get your hopes up for a EB..... more than likely will never happen.
Most speculation is on new headlights. Projectors with led's?? We will have to wait and see.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by All The Way
Rear rims are 2012 spare tire rims and the fronts are 10 11's.
It doesn't have a skid plate so it makes it look higher. Don't get your hopes up for a EB..... more than likely will never happen.
Most speculation is on new headlights. Projectors with led's?? We will have to wait and see.

While I agree, it is most likely there will be new headlights, similar to what we will see on the std. F-150 in 2013, I don't think you can ever say "never" given the [realities] of the current state of the world and rising fuel prices.

I am not saying the EB will likely be available in the next model year for the Raptor; however, there could very well be conditions in the not too distant future, where fuel costs rise to a level that the Raptor might not be limited to just one engine size/type. I personally, would like to see the EB as an option in the Raptor, as it would better suit my needs, than with the existing big block V-8.

Furthermore, at some time in the future, with fleet CAFE standards looming, coupled with rising fuel prices, it may well be that you will have to go to an F-250/350 to be able to order the V-8 engine; and the F-150 may have the V-6 (EB or otherwise) and maybe even a 4 cyl. EB as the available engine options?

Not sure however, as shown in this photo, why it would be necessary to do extensive road testing for just a headlight mod' on next year's truck; unless there is more than just the lights that is being changed?

Last edited by NorCal-09; 12-08-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 PM

I'm not holding my breath for an EcoBoost Raptor either... Just saying from my perspective, it would be fantastic.

Personally, no interest in a Raptor with the 6.2L. Plenty of interest in a Raptor with a 3.5GTDI, or a future 5.0GTDI.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Raptor needs Hydraulic Power Assissted Steering. 6.2 is only F150 engine that has this capability at present, so I doubt it's an E-Boost.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
Raptor needs Hydraulic Power Assissted Steering. 6.2 is only F150 engine that has this capability at present, so I doubt it's an E-Boost.
Yup, I'm aware of that. Well, that theory at least...

But I don't think it is that the Raptor "needs" Hydraulic power steering, but rather that the current F150 EPS system doesn't have enough power for the big tires and suspension on the Raptor.

If that is the case, a new, more powerful EPS system could be used. I wouldn't be surprised if a stronger EPS is already under development, possibly for future SuperDuty use.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-09-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Yup, I'm aware of that. Well, that theory at least...

But I don't think it is that the Raptor "needs" Hydraulic power steering, but rather that the current F150 EPS system doesn't have enough power for the big tires and suspension on the Raptor.

If that is the case, a more powerful EPS system could be used, resolving the issue of an EcoBoost in a Raptor. I wouldn't be surprised if a stronger EPS is already under development, possibly for future SuperDuty use.
Could be, however I believe it was more reliability and not strength that was called into question when referring to EPAS on a Raptor. I do think they will put the 5.0 in the Raptor eventually, but the EB seems a little further out in the future to me.

And btw quick question; not to thread jack
How is the feel of EPAS? I've heard good and bad and my uncle didn't bring his new 2011 Lariat 5.0 down for Thanksgiving for me to test drive so I gotta wait till christmas to try it out

Last edited by BassAckwards; 12-09-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
Could be, however I believe it was more reliability and not strength that was called into question when referring to EPAS on a Raptor. I do think they will put the 5.0 in the Raptor eventually, but the EB seems a little further out in the future to me.
It seems to me that Ford might have slightly underdesigned the EPAS. Fine for a stock F150 under normal conditions, but not much margin for big tires and heavy duty use... Which possibly results in increased problems and failures. Plus it seems that there are no serviceable parts in the EPAS. Any problem (like the relay if the power isn't disconnected before hammering on the suspension), and the whole rack needs replacement.

But doesn't the 5.0 uses the identical EPAS system as the 3.5L? Same issues would need to be resolved...

Quick Reply: 2013 Raptor