Topic Sponsor

Hypertech tuners/chips???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM
TJ_04F150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hypertech tuners/chips???

Whats up guys-

I have a bone stock 2004 F150 XLT 5.4....I'm looking into tuners or chips for it and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with them? Eventually I'm going to do exhaust and cai and all that good stuff. But right now I'm looking for advice on tuners or chips. Any help out there??

Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Hypertech is one of the worst programmers as far as their strategies and options. If you're going to do intake modifications, the only way to account for it is with a custom tune. Without a custom tune, your year of truck is notorious for running lean. Running lean leads to burn valves, pistons, etc. The SCT x3 and Gryphon are the top custom tuning devices. Do a search on here for more information on these programmers.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM
TJ_04F150

Good to know... thanks man.

So how do I determin how to "custom" tune the truck once I buy one of these tuners?

Also, do you think the custom tuner is better than going with a chip of some sort?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

The user does nothing to "custom" tune once you get the programmer. Here's how it works: You order a programmer with the capabilities to download and perform a custom calibration. When you receive the device and plug it in to the OBD II port, you will get a code. This code is the specific calibration and specifications of the truck. This code is what is sent into the person doing the tuning to decipher and make a custom tune for your truck. This is where the tuner also accounts for intakes, etc to modify fuel trims to safe parameters. In the case of the Gryphon, in comes with "canned" tunes for you to use while you wait for the custom tunes. Then when the custom tunes are ready they are emailed and downloaded onto the programmer. Then you can install your intake and other mods, and you load the custom tune to the truck and enjoy.

Chips are a thing of the past in the gas engine world. Cheap "chips" ($69 ebay chips) are resistors that mess with the intake temperature and cause more harm than good due to improper a/f. Other chips work through changes to the ECU, where as a programmer works through the PCM. Basically the PCM tells the ECU what to do, so you're getting the full benefits with a programmer and only half with a chip. Hardly any real companies sell chips for newer trucks. A programmer keeps parameters in a safe operating range while still providing gains. Diesels still use chips because they can dump fuel in using the ECU and see gains, but you'll hear the horror stories about how that works if it is out of range. There's a reason you see many used diesel truck adds that say "never been chipped".
Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
TJ_04F150

Thats awsome man....

How much does it cost, ballpark, for the custom tune? I saw the SCT tuner is going for around $379.

Do you know about the ROUSH CAI? I want to throw a cai and exhaust on the truck...any advice on either?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Tunes for the programmer vary, but are usually in the $30 per tune range. The Roush is really a re badged Airaid intake. IMO Do a search for the Gotts mod and a aFe Pro Dry filter before looking at intakes. For the little gain an aftermarket CAI has over the Gotts, the filtration protection you get from having a dry filter in the Gotts more than makes up for it. Exhaust, you can fab up a custom stainless system and get better gains than cat back systems. If you want more information about that just ask.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Cant Stop Wont Stop

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Not to thread jack, but I'm confused. Do you install your parts 1st, then plug in the tuner to get "that" reading to send back? Or do you plug in the tuner before bolt on's are installed and wait for the custom tune and once the custom tune is applied to truck, then put on parts? Sorry for the noob question but that's kinda how I read it.

Right now I have a glasspack in place of my factory muffler but that's it. I'd like to run a CAI and CARB approved shorty headers but I also need to know in what order to install including a tune.

Quick Reply: Hypertech tuners/chips???