Topic Sponsor

5.4L Modular V8 Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM
F150Luke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4L Modular V8 Horsepower?

This may be a dumb question but is it possible to build a 5.4L (330ci) engine to produce anything from 400 to 900 HP using all engine and no adds like super or turbo chargers?

I understand that might be consisting of boring and stroking and stuff like that. Is it possible to get that out of a mod engine period without add ons?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it is...just depends on how fat your wallet is.

But in all honesty, its easier and cheaper to add forced induction and the power gains and reliability(when properly installed and tuned) are generally superior.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:17 AM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess it could be possible with alot of money, but why?

Supercharger or turbo would put down alot of HP quicker and probably cheaper than building just the engine..
Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 PM
F150Luke

It would just be cool to say i have a a mod engine with all that horsepower without and power add ons. You dont hear about Chevy or Dodge with all power add ons, they are all engine. Thats the one thing i didnt understand about Ford though is they have to supercharge their engines, they couldnt build something really powerful using all engine.

Last edited by f150luke; 01-16-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Because Ford believes in building reliable engines with reasonable hp, very good torque curves (for towing), and reasonable gas mileage when not towing or hauling.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 PM
F150Luke

That is true but with todays technology all that can be combined and still be competitive since thats what the Big 3 are basically doing right now, and then you got Toyota and Nissan competing as well.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by f150luke
It would just be cool to say i have a a mod engine with all that horsepower without and power add ons. You dont hear about Chevy or Dodge with all power add ons, they are all engine. Thats the one thing i didnt understand about Ford though is they have to supercharge their engines, they couldnt build something really powerful using all engine.
Neither do any of the other manufacturers. HP and torque ratings are usually within 50 HP on all the manufacturers with their biggest engines...and honestly, 50 HP is not going to make that much of a difference when your talking a vehicle this big. Yes, some full sized trucks will outrun others...but its usually more weight and gearing related than sheer HP numbers. Fords are pigs when it comes to weight...and a TALL geared 4 speed transmission is not overly productive when trying to make a truck quicker.

Your talking about a HEAVY standard 1/2 ton truck...they were not intended to be hot rods.

You can put a big cam, high flow heads, up the compression, full exhaust, intake and tune it but your still not going to gain what a good forced induction setup would give you...and you'll have spent just as much, if not more. Take it from someone whos been there, done that and knows what it takes to make big HP...trying to make these trucks "fast" just isnt cost effective and still, even with the extra HP, their FAR from "fast" and reliability usually takes a huge dive.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
F150Luke

I plan on doing work like that. This particular engine im building is in my '98 and this truck is retired. I had it since it was brand new and throughout the years its had its problems so im gonna rip it apart and and probably dual cam it and do all the BIG engine work it needs to about what i want it to, along with tranny and rear end and all the toys. It will be a race truck when im done with it. My basic question was will a modular engine produce very high horsepwer, ive heard yes and no so pretty much the only way to find out is to actually try and do it. You learn limits when you experiment. Ive got an '02 F150 5.4 im asking on other threads how i can gain just a few more hp (anywhere from 20-60, nothing huge) to compete with a friend of mine and thats it.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Then to answer your question, yes...you can get high HP numbers with them without forced induction(900HP is probably way out of the question, but 500+ would be easily obtainable)...but plan on spending A LOT of money.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Radar Detector Guru

Get the big three first then a supercharger. If you were looking to build a hot rod truck, you should've gotten a Ford Lightning.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Modular V8 Horsepower?