Topic Sponsor

slight oil leak and open to suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default slight oil leak and open to suggestions

Am starting to mess up my driveway with a very small oil leak coming from tranny and engine joint. Picked up a new rear main seal, I have both the low boy tranny jack and also an engine lift. Whats the verdict? Pull the tranny or yank out the engine! Am concerned with exhaust cross over pipe not letting the tranny down. Its an auto trans.

At 225K on the clock, this engine goes 5K between oil changes and I still use the 5W20 (as recommended) oil. I guess my up in years (68) is slowing me down on tackling this job.

Open to suggestions. Just drive it is not an option.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow thats a hard one you being 68 engine removal is out do you have someone to help because both jobs would be difficult
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Over this weekend I plan on fabricating a bracket that will surround the tranny pan and will bolt to my jack. At least then perhaps I can tilt the tranny to clear the crossover pipe that is under the trans tail section.

Years back we used to take a pressure regulator and reduce line air pressure down to less than 5 psi so we could pressurise the crankcase and look for oil leaks. Going thru all this work with the trans, I just want to see a before and after seal installation. The PCV line is an unknown obstacle at this time, we used to pull the PCV valve out of the grommet and plug up the existing hole. This present day system (2002) is done a little different.

Anyway, being 68 isn't all that bad, I still want to smell the roses and not feed them.

PS, yes I have a couple of friends that will be stopping by occasionally for safety reasons. Only problem is, that leads to production stopping and beer consumption starting.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 04-21-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: unanswered question
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Ha ha good for you glad to hear your going to tackle the job
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Bill,

The last time I ran into your problem was with an 87 Mercury Marquis Station wagon. My father and I jerked out the 460/C6 combo, replaced the seal and I drove out of my driveway right after dinner w/o any leaks. That was after my wife fixed the best mexican dinner ever and dad and I shot at each other for the whole cruze (about 25 miles).
Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Well Bill I took a look and I see you have a 2002 4.2L. I would check the compression and test the vacuum with a gauge. Your mile leads me to think you are chasing a ringer. If you are off 15/20% on some cylinders you could put some hard thought into a fresh motor. Pulling the motor would be the way to go to replace the rear crankshaft seal or the torque convertor pump/seal. With your kind of mileage the pump bushing may be worn enough that the seal will go again sooner than later, and a loose engine means a worn crankshaft/main bearings and also a nother seal leaking soon.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks Papa for the excellent input. Although this engine runs like a top, it makes sense to go back to basics and get a better idea about its internals. Perhaps if my ankle keeps getting better I will spend some time on it today. Had to pass on horseshoes yesterday, just to stiff and sore. To bad, should have been over $100.00 in the pot. Last week, high and low hands won $220.00 each in a 57 mile desert poker run. 30 vehicles streched over 1/2 mile is the slow areas. Small town fun and games.

Will keep yas posted, wish I was more up to the times to post some pics on the whole drill. Talk more later.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Think the Joint inflamation thing is about more methane in the air? My old joints are given a turn too. Check to make sure you don't have any natural gas leaks in the basement. LOL

Quick Reply: slight oil leak and open to suggestions