Topic Sponsor

put used fuel injectors in

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation put used fuel injectors in

ok my friend gave his fuel injectors out of his truck same ezact truck as mine they worked fine in his truck he got great gas mileage but now that they are in my truck i get bad fuel milage. what is the cause?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure they are the same? Same year model even? I Would try some fuel injector cleaner, like Seafom or Lucas. Maybe try a 2 part fuel injection cleaning service. Sounds like clogged or varnished injectors. The varnished part comes when you shut of the vehicle. The drops of fuel left on the tip or in the cylinder evaporates. The varnish is left over from the evaporation and it doesn't take much to clog the tiny passages in an injector. That affects the flow, the performance and mileage. The same process affects carburated engines too. The carb just gets a varnish build up on internal components and performance goes down. Take a look inside a carburator , all the brown junk lining the venturis is the varnish.

May take more than one treatment to clean the varnish if you use the stuff you pour in the tank. Maybe 3 bottles in 3 full tanks. Still not a bad idea to use it every other or every 3rd tank. It doesn't cost that much.

If you go the 2 part route, probably fix it first go around. The 2 part route is usually done at a shop, unless you have a friend with the cleaner bottle or can rent one. One bottle of cleaner goes in the tank. The other is poured into a bottle with a metering part at the top to control the flow into the engine. The hose on the bottle in connected to a vacuum source going into the intake. I use the vacuum line going into the brake master cylinder. Disconnect the booster line, and hook the hose from the cleaner bottle to that. The bottle line runs into the vacuum line that goes into the upper intake. The metering part controls the flow so as not to stall the engine. You engine will stumble, maybe sputter some during the cleaning process. this is normal. The cleaner fluid takes a little time to lossen all the junk inside the motor. Maybe about 10 minutes. it smells like crap ( strong sulfer or worse), then you might see white or gray smoke coming out the tailpipe for a few minutes afterward. Thats all the crud and carbon build up cleaned out of the injectors and cumbustion chambers that rob your motor of performance. When the bottle is empty, I rev the motor to about 2500 RPMs for about a minuteto clear it out. Then driving it for a few minutes more will finish the job.

Quick Reply: put used fuel injectors in