Topic Sponsor

pcv valve replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv valve replacement?

I have a 4.9 L 1996 ford f150 and picked up a pcv valve that is non-motorcraft. Problem is, it does not fit in the hose and valve cover as snug as the original motorcraft one....Is this o.k.? I have been trying to get rid of check engine codes running lean, The code is P0174 or P0171.... new plugs,cap,rotor,fuel filter,wires,air cleaner and O2 sensors seem fine. I am losing it..
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does nt fit

Just get the motor craft w/ a new grommet the grommets get hard and brittle . New hose too if needed. The valve should not be loose.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Find it funny, the codes for an inline six. Which is bank one and two? Suggest using carb choke cleaner sprayed around the intake system, including the PCV hose, any engine rpm increase is a vacuum leak and hence the codes.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Default latest update

Got the grommet and pcv valve replaced and went 37 miles before check engine light came on again. I am pulling out my hair thinking I got grabbed on this truck. I have to get it through emmissions and everything I read out there says I am going to strike out. What is my next step? Ford dealership? Oh brother.... I am not that mechanically inclined. the thing has a little "giggle" at idle that is barely noticable, but other than that runs great.... I do know that there is a leak in the rear fuel tank , But I use the front one, and that there appears to be a small leak in exhaust pipe 4 feet to end of truck, but that is after the o2 sensors. To top it off, when light came back on I now have 3 codes : p0171,p0174, and now the new one p0420!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Make sure there is no vacuum leak at the PVC connection. Personally I buy the Motorcraft parts when it comes to these type of parts for their correct fit.

Saving a buck or two is not worth having to re-buy again due to fit issues.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 AM

I know that I'm bringing up an old thread but is there a certain way to get the PCV valve off the hose? I got it off the valve cover fine but I feel like I'm going to rip the hose if I just yank it off.

Quick Reply: pcv valve replacement?