Topic Sponsor

Newb questions on 4.9L F150 4x4

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb questions on 4.9L F150 4x4

is it rollerized?
can it be made rollerized easily? best to just buy a 96 head and go from there or does someone make a kit?

which computer is powering it? OBD I or II
Whats best for adding power? ok I've covered this one
Hyper, cast or forged pistons?
connecting rods a weak point?
compression stock? 9.0:1?
type of 5spd it has? there was 3 or 4 different types

dampner/flywheel going to help smooth out the motor abit or should I just get another motor and have it balanced/blueprinted.

weak points in the 4x4 system?
TTB keep it or toss it?

most durable highway/4x4ing suspension kit.
4" suspension lift. air bagging it useful? pro's con's?

thanks

Last edited by smokeshow81; 03-07-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Ford Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can help on some of these I had one for a few years.
its OBD I
The best thing to add power is to put a 351w in it
I'd bet good money the pistons are cast
5spd trans is a mazda M5OD r2, they are junk I put 3 in my old truck
The good news is the motors will run forever and ever and they have pretty good torque.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so I'll be looking to get a tko 500 swapped in.
Will probably look around for a 96 (hydraulic lifters) and have it built/balanced to go forced induction then. I happen to have a pair of turbos sitting around that may make some good use on this motor.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://fordsix.com/forum/index.php

You might want to check out that forum for information on the 4.9L, plenty of good information and very knowledgeable people
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
52f1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it rollerized can be put in easy..if i was you i'd go with a older head no exhaust smog on the head the bolts are all the same just have to get the older bracket for the power steering thats it ...i have a 94 block with a 75 head on it intake carb ported im put out on the dyno 190....all stock sofar..
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by 52f1
yes it rollerized can be put in easy..if i was you i'd go with a older head no exhaust smog on the head the bolts are all the same just have to get the older bracket for the power steering thats it ...i have a 94 block with a 75 head on it intake carb ported im put out on the dyno 190....all stock sofar..

Where can you find a Roller cam and lifters for a 4.9l?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
52f1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the inline six never came from the factory with a roller cam. and I know that it is available as a special order item from places like Clay's. but why is it when i was looking through Summit Racing online today, they had factory replacement roller lifters? i couldn't find a factory replacement roller cam to go with them... IIRC the lifter bores are the same between the inline and the windsor blocks
Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by 52f1
I know that the inline six never came from the factory with a roller cam. and I know that it is available as a special order item from places like Clay's. but why is it when i was looking through Summit Racing online today, they had factory replacement roller lifters? i couldn't find a factory replacement roller cam to go with them... IIRC the lifter bores are the same between the inline and the windsor blocks
A custom roller cam will be in the neighborhood of $800

Why put a roller cam in a 4.9L when you are not going to rev it high enough to see any benefits of it in a street driven application that will return enough results to be worthy of the dollar expenditure?

Seriously, get a good dual pattern cam with decent lift and replace the factory one and replace the factory timing gears with a Cloyes adjustable set.Install the cam advanced 4 degrees......maybe get a custom chip for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb questions on 4.9L F150 4x4