Topic Sponsor

EGR Delete Should i do it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Delete Should i do it???

iv been having problems with my egr and my friend siad delete it but what are the consaquences if i do delete it? and what do i do with the senser wires and all the other stuff that go to the egr? any ideas??? the truck is a 1990 f150 with the 4.9l straight six.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Unplug it all and see if it runs ruff, it shouldn't but all trucks are different.

Do you have emissions if so you won't pass exspections without it.

Last whats the egr look like on a '90 egr I'm at work not but i'll post up my kit for 97-03 and see if it looks the same.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM

i unpluged everything it ran good but my check engine light stays on.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Upper Middle Class

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Countryboy
i unpluged everything it ran good but my check engine light stays on.
Screw that check engine light. Take the the bulb out hahaha
Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Too Dam*ed Lazy:

The EGR in my '94 LTC has been non-functional for several months now. The CEL comes on regularly. I just haven't had the incentive to pull the intake goose-neck out to clean the EGR passages.

I've plugged the EGR valve vacuum port and the EGR vacuum control valve port to prevent any EGR flow. The system just defaults to the "limp-home" mode, but performance is hardly affected.

Fuel mileage is down slightly, about 0.5mpg, but I know the engine is not ingesting crappy exhaust fumes, so I'm in no rush to make the correction.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM

I have an 89 with the 4.9 and my egr isnt even connected and it passed smog, just ran the lines and wires to make it look like it was connected when they did the visual inspection.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I'd fix it and make it work. They're not that expensive and they really do reduce emissions and increase fuel mileage. The EGR only opens when at cruse speed injecting exhause gas in to the intake below the throttle plate. This helps fill your cylinders and effectively fools your computer into thinking it's a small displacement motor and leaning out the air/fuel mixture, so it burns less fuel. Given it's not a major MPG improvement but every little bit help. Plus it keep it legal which may or may not matter to you, until you try to sell it. But over the years I've seen to many vechiles that people have butchered removing smog equipment and they just never could get them to run right. So if it belongs there I fix it back to original now and it's a lot less trouble in the long run, unless I'm building a high performance motor of course.

Last edited by KedwinH; 12-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: EGR Delete Should i do it???