Topic Sponsor

4.9l Spark Plug Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 4.9l Spark Plug Advice

Hello all,

I just got a 1995 F150 with the 4.9l I6. I didn't really need a truck that badly but I just wanted it for fun and to learn how to wrench without stranding myself at home.

I would like to change the spark plugs and it seems fairly straight forward to me but I would like some input.

First, do I need to remove the intake in order to reach the middle/rear plugs? They seem hard to see but I've got a 10" extension for my ratchet so as long as I've got direct access I think I can do it without seeing it.

Second, I buggered up one of the spark plug wires trying to reconnect it. Is there any way I can feel if the wire is engaged on the top of the spark plug? I tried to plug it back in bug could feel no "click" or positive indication that the spark plug was connected. I ended up breaking the wire trying to bend it but I got a new set so it will be replaced anyways.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The spark plugs on the 4.9 are very easy to replace without removing anything except the plastic shield on the throttle body. The spark wire should click onto the terminal but it can be easily damaged and should be replaced if its condition is suspect. A set of new spirial core wires won't set you back much. I changed my cap, rotor, wires, and plugs in less than an hour.
One of the reasons I love this engine is because its one of the easiest to work on.
YMMV
rikard

Quick Reply: 4.9l Spark Plug Advice