Topic Sponsor

4.9 oil pans

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9 oil pans

The oil pan in my '93 4.9 is starting to show its age, there is some paint peeling and I'm thinking it will need a new pan at some point. Are the oil pans in the '87-'91's (carb) the same as in the '92-'96's (EFI)? I"m just asking because a guy in town is parting out a carbed 4.9 and I'll pick up the oil pan to have as a spare if it will fit.

Also, do you have to lift the engine to change an oil pan on a 4.9 EFI? I've heard it both ways.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by yoder85
The oil pan in my '93 4.9 is starting to show its age, there is some paint peeling and I'm thinking it will need a new pan at some point. Are the oil pans in the '87-'91's (carb) the same as in the '92-'96's (EFI)? I"m just asking because a guy in town is parting out a carbed 4.9 and I'll pick up the oil pan to have as a spare if it will fit.

Also, do you have to lift the engine to change an oil pan on a 4.9 EFI? I've heard it both ways.
im wondering the same thing but most of these threads have no reply
Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM

87 to 93 r efi too and yes the pans r the same. it can be done with out pullin engine but not easy
Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe this will answer your question I know this works on a 87-96. Start by draining oil and cooling system, remove the upper intake manifold and throttle body, remove starter, remove nuts and washers from both front isolators to support brackets, raise front of engine till you can get a 1”or so block between isolators and bracket let motor down on the blocks and move jack out of the way, remove pan bolts and let the pan rest on cross member, remove the two tube and screen assembly bolts and put assembly into pan now remove your pan. After you clean everything especially the end cap seal groove put a bead of sealant (I like to use the black oil resistant type) to the gap between the block and end caps install the new seals and put sealant on the tapered ends of seals, secure side gaskets to pan, put the screen assembly back in pan and reverse everything you did to get it off, or that’s how I do it hope this helps
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
JUST PINNER!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks, My oil pan was pissin out a quart a day, so i just slapped some JB weld on their and it sealed it right up. i ended up having to put a coat over the whole bottom of the pan, took 2 tubes but it worked awesome!

Quick Reply: 4.9 oil pans