Topic Sponsor

4.2L fuel injector replace

Old 12-08-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4.2L fuel injector replace

Hello everyone.
Hoping to find someone who could give me some advice on replacing a fuel injector on my 2005 F-150 with the 4.2l. I bought this truck new in 2005, and it has been virtually trouble free for 192k miles. It has developed an intermittent problem with the #2 injector. Right now it is running perfect, but will start misfiring, unannounced. And will smooth out on its on in usually under 100 miles, and may run for another 1500 miles before acting up again. I do have a very good OBD II reader, and it reads two issues, Left Bank Lean(P0171), and #2 Fuel Injector Open.(circuit, P0202). Thinking of replacing the injector, but cannot find any real information online on the best way to do so. Has anyone ever replaced a fuel injector on a 4.2L? If so, can you give me some advice on how, and what parts I will need to do the job? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Have you checked the electrical connector, aka plug, at the injector? More likely that you have a bad connection than a bad injector. "Open" would mean open circuit which means lost electrical contact. Could be a bad solenoid but it's unlikely. Worth cleaning the connection first, you'll have to get there and remove it anyway in order to replace the injector.

You'll have to remove the fuel rail to replace one injector and once you do that you're in to a whole list of "while I'm here" stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.2L fuel injector replace