Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

flipped over my sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default flipped over my sway bar

I've been running no front sway bar for a couple of years. The geometry was pretty bad (regarding the swaybar ends) after lowering the truck probably 5 inches in the front. It didn't appear that the position it was in that it would do anything. Plus, the way ends were rotated upwards, it caused the center of the swaybar to rotate downwards closer to the ground...so I removed it.

Well, the truck sits low enough that tire rubbing can be somewhat of an issue from time to time, especially hitting bumps while turning corners. I've been thinking about it for a while, and decided it might be worth a try to reinstall the sway bar, but upside down instead of the way it was originally installed.

I have to say, I thinks it's a success. Tire rubbing has been greatly reduced, and the swaybar fits like a glove. The center section is also now rotated more upwards toward the oil pan. First impressions are good, and haven't really noticed anything negative so far. I've been driving it this way for about a week or so.

It's a thought for anyone who has a concern or has noticed the geometry of the front swaybar. Might be worth a try for you.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I looked at that on my 16 but it looked like the bar may hit the oilpan...maybe it just looks closer than it actually would be. Can you can some pics? I'd love to see how it sits.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM

I do have the giant Hellwig front bar also...I bet that's why mine looks like it can't be flipped.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by UNBROKEN
I looked at that on my 16 but it looked like the bar may hit the oilpan...maybe it just looks closer than it actually would be. Can you can some pics? I'd love to see how it sits.
yes next time I get the truck up on the jack stands. i'm changing struts out in the next few days. there's at least a couple of inches between the oil pan and the sway bar. I will pay attention to what the sway bar does when I jack the front end up. It may come a little closer to the pan when I do that, so I will have to pay attention. I drove the truck up on ramps when I reinstalled it so the suspension hanging down wasn't a concern with rotating the bar upwards toward the pan.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 PM

I got under mine today. The Hellwig bar most definitely can't be flipped. The drop portion in the center is roughly 4.5"...it would take up the space the oil pan seems to like. lol
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the hellwig front and rear. Can't wait to get them and my lowering kit installed this weekend. People have said the rear sway bar makes a HUGE difference. I will wait on ordering the FOX shocks for rear untill I drive it for a few days with everything installed