Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

do lower control arm bushings need to be flexible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default do lower control arm bushings need to be flexible?

I got a replacement set of bushings for my djm lower lower control arms. I'm thinking of having a duplicate or modified set machined up that will eliminate the mushrooming and durability issues with the stock djm bushings. I'm kicking a couple of ideas around and am wondering about bushing material and flexibility, if it's a must or not. There's a couple of local machine shops that should be able to fabricate something fairly easily I would think.

I think the design of the bushings that are supplied with the arms is really just inferior. Any input is welcome.

nvh is a consideration, however durability is more important to me.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking at the lca on my 16 they appear to move in a single plane. So you should be able to use a non-compliant material. I’d look into acetyl. In my experience you’ll be surprised what a machine shop charges to do a one-off part. I’d be surprised if you can get it done for under $150-200.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by meathooker
Looking at the lca on my 16 they appear to move in a single plane. So you should be able to use a non-compliant material. I’d look into acetyl. In my experience you’ll be surprised what a machine shop charges to do a one-off part. I’d be surprised if you can get it done for under $150-200.
not a big deal. I've spent so much money by now that another 2 bills isn't going to make a big difference.

to be clear thought....what is non-compliant?

I used a dictionary and didn't come up with anything that made sense

Last edited by rojizostang; 10-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rojizostang
not a big deal. I've spent so much money by now that another 2 bills isn't going to make a big difference.

to be clear thought....what is non-compliant?

I used a dictionary and didn't come up with anything that made sense
by non-complaint i meant a stiffer material ... something that doesnt give/move/flex like OEM rubber bushings. some suspension systems will bind as they articulate so the rubber in the bushing accounts for that misalignment. If they are solid (aluminum, delrin, etc) the suspension will be restricted. In those scenarios you'd want to go with a uniball or heim.

but in the case of an f150 front suspension it looks like you could use a stiff material as mentioned about to get the slop out of it.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:32 PM

ok that's pretty much what I though you were saying, but thanks for clearing it up
Old 10-18-2017, 05:27 PM

I found a local supplier of the acetal rod...and a machine shop that's owned by a car guy and is accustomed to fabricating custom bushings from acetal rod. Material will be around $50 and hopefully I'll soon get a price on the fabrication.