Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Do I need to change my rear shocks if im only doing a 2-3 inch drop?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do I need to change my rear shocks if im only doing a 2-3 inch drop?

Hello everyone, question!!! I have a 2013 F150 FX2 supercab, 2wd, 5.0, I bought rear drop shackles with the option to lower it 2 or 3 inches, would i need to change out my rear shocks also? or can i get by for now? Any info would be greatly appreciated,, note, im only lowering the rear for now.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you'll be fine with 2-2.5. 3 would probably need new shocks.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:17 PM

Thank you very much!! I was planning on staying at 2" . I appreciate the reply
Old 10-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed. I did 2”drop shackles on my FX2 with no other mods and it rides exactly the same, which is to say still not great as it feels floaty. At some point I’m going to lower it 3 more inches all around along with new rear shocks and a rear sway bar, bit for the price and ease of install the 2” drop shackles are a great way to go.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Lowering 2 " or 3"?

Hey guys thanks for the info,, much appreciated. Well on the shackles I ordered they advertise 2-3" drop depending on what hole u use of course. Well I've never seen many any other drop shackles that drop 2-3. Only 1-2 I know they have them though. Anyhow, I'm gonna go w the 2 inch drop for now, i ended up ordering shocks in case I go to 3". Plus I never considered this, I travel 2 hours every wknd to go fishing and my truck is loaded to the gills w ice chest etc. Oh !!!! Question I've gotten too many different answers on the pinion shims!!! Does the thick part face the front or the rear???!!!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Craw,
Simple geometry. Jack the truck up and set the rear axle on jackstands so the it is simulating ride height. Measure shock length from bolt to bolt. Measure from lower shock bolt to frame rail. With these two measurements you can now figure the length of your long or B leg of the right triangle. Lower shock bolt to frame squared + B or long leg squared = shock length squared. Now measure the bump stop to axle housing and subtract this from your original lower shock bolt to frame measurement. Refigure your triangle leg lengths. You now have B/long leg squared + (Lower shock bolt to frame - bump stop to axle housing) squared = minimum shock length. Now measure your collapsed shock length and if it is = to or < than your last hypotenuse or minimum shock length figure it will work. I like to have about an inch shorter shock than the math calls for.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:44 AM

thank you , @ Newport for that reply, i apologize i havent been on the site in awhile., as always i appreciate the help i get from everyone here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need to change my rear shocks if im only doing a 2-3 inch drop?