Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Different types of Delrin for bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Different types of Delrin for bushings?

I've found a local machine shop and the owner is also a car guy. He fabricates bushings on a regular basis from Delrin.

The question is, after looking around the net, that their appears to be many different kinds of Delrin, so I'm trying to figure out which is appropriate to make bushings from. Not that I don't trust the machine shop, but If I'm going to spring for a set of custom made control arm bushings, I want to make sure I'm using the right or most appropriate form of Delrin.

Anyone with any input is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Delrin is a brand name for acetyl. I’ve always purchased acetyl and my local plastics supplier never mentioned different brands. Just make sure you don’t get uhmw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene
Old 10-27-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

After doing a lot of research and pricing, I decided to go ahead and use the replacement bushings I bought from DJM suspension. I was considering buying acetal/delrin rod and having them turned down to match the polyurethane bushings supplied by DJM.

As it turns out, the delrin would probably have been a huge pita if I had them machined to match the poly bushings. The poly bushings were a tight fit, and actually compress a little when forcing them into the housings in the control arms. If I had delrin bushings machined the same size, they probably wouldn't have worked. I'm making an assumption here as most everyone says the acetal/delrin is a much harder material. I don't think there's any way I could have compressed them enough to fit into the housings.

turns out the original bushings were still in good shape, with the exception of the flange portion that was being pinched by the perches. In order to alleviate this problem, I fashioned a tool and spread the perches to make the new bushings slide back into place without them binding. I had previously tack welded the nuts in place to maintain my original alignment. After re-assembling everything, I tightened the bolts just enough to hold everything in place without squishing the new poly bushings and then went to a local shop and had the bolt heads also tack welded in order to hold everything the their proper positions without having to over-tighten everything.....which is where this little story originally started.

Now I have a set of bushings and sleeves that freely articulate without binding or eating up the bushing ends.