Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Crown Suspesion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 AM
MidBlackF1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crown Suspesion?

Have a 2013 stx regular cab, belltech and max trac would obviously be the best option, but we're kind of on a budget. I found a Crown suspension 3-5 flip kit for around $300. Was wondering if it would be a good idea considering it's a less in price and because of this will the ride be affected more or less. Don't really have much knowledge on lowering a truck so anything will help!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I was going to do Crown on mine but I couldn't get them to talk to me. So I went a different direction.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:45 AM
MidBlackF1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did you end up going with?
Originally Posted by 1NiceHarley
I was going to do Crown on mine but I couldn't get them to talk to me. So I went a different direction.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Well there are some of us who would advise you to stay away from the Belltech lowering struts. I've known several people that have had them fail. I had two of them leaked all the oil out. They just don't seem to hold up well on rough pavement, IMO. Since you're on a budget, If I were doing it all over again having used just about everything out there, I would go with the Mcgaughys spring pocket relocators. After that, I would purchase maybe the
Belltech flip kit Belltech flip kit
separately, or one of the others that sells parts separately. It shouldn't be too much above your target price of $300.

I personally think that adding a coil spring in the front from Crown Suspension that lowers the truck 3" will create a really rough ride. You can install the Mcgaughys spring pockets and trim maybe 1/4 coil off your stock springs and still have a decent riding truck. You can even re-use your stock struts, but perhaps shorten up the snubbers that sit on top of them. Be advised that when you lower your '13 and retain the stock control arms, that it will reduce your turning radius to some degree. I got out the grinder and ground off a portion of the stops that control how sharply your truck can turn, but it didn't make a lot of difference.

Also be prepared to spend some time adjusting the angles of your drive shaft. Suffice it to say that once you lower a truck with a two piece driveshaft, it takes some time to figure out the angles and get everything adjusted to where it doesn't have a low speed rumble or a high speed vibration on the other end.

If you do any towing or hauling, you may consider some slam air helper bags or perhaps even some old timey air shocks.

It was a lot of work getting everything sorted out. Currently I run DJM 3" dropped control arms, and they're pretty good, but they have certain things that I don't like about them too. I wish I still had the front set up with the spring cup relocators that I linked with the stock control arms and a mildly shortened spring for that 3" drop you want. It's a little bit of work, but if you're willing to do it, you can install the perches and then trim the springs until you get the ride height you want. Oh and they say don't use a torch on the springs. Use a cut off wheel.

Edit: If you use the Mcgaughys spring perches, you may have to use oem front struts. I'm pretty sure they won't work on others like Monroes or perhaps some of the others as those come with their own spring perches and Mcgaughys perches may not fit them.

Last edited by rojizostang; 04-11-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SGreyF1
what did you end up going with?
All my links are in my signature.
I used Belltech struts up front.
DJM flip, stock shackles and rough country add a leafs in the back with FOX shocks.

So far all is good.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

are the Mcgaughys spring pocket relocators. a 2" drop on 2wd struts or 4x4 struts?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by jsdecorte
are the Mcgaughys spring pocket relocators. a 2" drop on 2wd struts or 4x4 struts?
My truck is 2wd. I don't know about 4wd unfortunately.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I tried to buy the perch relocators separately for 15+ and they would not part ways. Told I had to buy the whole kit.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by crankinaway
I tried to buy the perch relocators separately for 15+ and they would not part ways. Told I had to buy the whole kit.
did you try the link in my first post? they claim they have them for like $120

they let me add them to the cart
Old 04-13-2019, 02:01 AM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Interesting.

Quick Reply: Crown Suspesion?