Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Will These MPG Mods Work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will These MPG Mods Work?

Hello all! This is my first post on the forums. I've had a few years behind the wheel of my new (to me) 1999 F150. Regular Cab LWB 4x4. Had 82,000 on the odometer when I bought it. Now it's got 111,000ish miles. Wanting to do a few mods to it to help on the MPGs. Here's the stats on the truck:

1999 Ford F150 XLT
Reg. Cab Long Bed
4x4
4.6 V8 vin 6
255/70r16 Tires (Falken AT3W)
Gotts Mod "cold air intake"
I'm not too sure on the gear ratio, but its all stock. Looking at a few mods to help my wallet. I know that I won't save much money on it right now (mods cost money), but I don't plan on getting rid of the truck for a LOOOONG time.

Anyways, here's what I want to end up doing to my truck.
1. BBK Underdrive pulley system
2. Flex-A-Lite Electric fan kit
3. Edge CS2 Gas Programmer
4. Maybe a bed cover in the future (have a toolbox now, it's fairly new) Thinking about a Diamondback Cover. Would like any reviews if y'all have this kind of cover.
5. Thinking about a performance SISO or SIDO exhaust (currently have just a y-pipe and tips)
Also, I don't plan on lifting my truck. EVER. Maybe in a few years my view will change.
If anyone has input on what to do first, I'd like to hear it.

Now i know this sounds stupid, but I'm hoping to get numbers around 22-23 MPG if doable. I saw this video and was intrigued about how I could possibly squeeze some extra HP and MPG from a vehicle like this. Here it is:

I'm VERY new to this, and my modification experience has begun and ended with the Gotts Mod, besides a few things (upgraded factory replacement speakers and ventshades/bug guard, not very much tinkering around in the engine bay), so any advice on installing these would help. If I can't install it myself, what kind of auto shop could do it if I bring on the parts? Off road store? Basic Mechanic? I have no clue. Just wanting to get a long life and decent MPGs out of my truck. I am interested in doing some work myself.

Thanks for any input y'all may have. I know I may sound stupid, but at 19 I'm looking at a truck I want to keep hold of for as long as I can, and try to save money in the long run.

Last edited by JP99; 10-15-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spacing errors and mod numbering
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

People will tell you if you want better gas mileage then buy a car.

Let's break this down on a financial standpoint. You're talking about spending around $1,000 to increase fuel mileage? That is just silly. I don't know what a lot of this is off hand so I did a quick google search for prices and I found the pulley kit to be $200, fan kit at $100, tuner for $450 (the $300 one is a monitor only), and a cat back 3" SISO exhaust for $200. The bed cover I'm not factoring in because I'm not sure if you're talk tonneau cover or canopy and if it's new or used. Anyway, after shipping, possible install costs, as well as misc parts that might be needed in the case of the exhaust and pulley, as well as maybe you'll pay for a custom tune, you're in well over $1k, but because I hate math and like easy numbers let's say it's $1k after all is said and done. According to Fuelly, a 1999 F-150 4.6L averages about 15 mpg. Let's say with these mods you hit your goal of 23 mpg. You will have to drive about 18,000 miles just to break even. That's a stretch too based off the fact that gas is pretty cheap right now ($2.29 last time I was in town), and hoping you'll see a 8 mpg increase.

The best thing for fuel economy is to get rid of weight. Take out every ounce of unneeded weight and you'll save your mpg pretty good. Next go for a street tire as opposed to an A/T tire and over inflate them (door sticker says 35 PSI so do 50 PSI IF the tire is capable of handling it, look on the sidewall for the max PSI number). Also go for a smaller tire, I believe the smallest tire off the factory line was a 235/70R16.

One thing that I know is good for MPG is a canopy. I've always increase MPG when I put a standard canopy (not a high rise) on. I currently have a '06 F-250 6.0 and with the canopy I got 16.3 MPG and I just took it off and now I'm getting about 15.7 MPG.

Also just my quick word of advice to you, you are young just like me, don't hold onto that truck for longer than you can. Not saying these are bad trucks, they are great trucks but when they start to go, it's a slippery slope. I bought my '97 when I was 15, and in 3 years I had more money in repair work than what I paid for it. I paid $5k for that truck too.... Some of it was damage caused by me but other stuff was just the truck breaking down. I sold that truck a couple years ago and I miss it but it is a good thing it's gone lol.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Guess you are new. Those mods will pretty much lighten the wallet in a hurry, get worse or no better mileage. Yea, don't ever expect to recoup there.

Just keep it maintained and accept what it is. Perhaps and old VW diesel rabbit can be had if you can't handle fuel costs. Just a suggestion
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The only simple change I've made that improved MPG is Denso Iridium plugs. I don't have any idea why but they improved my gas mileage slightly.. Most other things are a waste of money.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 AM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

You will never break even on mileage improvement attempts

You have a 19 yr old truck, invest that money in maintenance and repairs. They will come.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You already saved $$ buying the truck. It has depreciated 90% from it's msrp.

I agree that spending $1,000 to get better gas mileage doesn't math out

​​besides getting a 2nd econobox or doing what everyone else mentioned, one last option that might be available to you is an alternative fuel vehicle. I have an '01 F150 that runs on compressed natural gas. It I buy a home pump it will math to $0.80/gallon...and here in southern CA the public stations are $0.50-$1/gallon cheaper than gasoline and gains me carpool lane access.

Last edited by Vortex; 10-16-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Tonneau cover does not save fuel, proven time and time again.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

These have been proven to be good, long life trucks... trucks!- they were primarily designed to be a... truck. Keep it well maintained,use good clean fuel, and dont expect hole shot acceleration! If the truck is in good shape ( interior, little/no rust, and doesnt show abuse)
Drive it, and use/enjoy it for what it is... a truck!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

As others have said, you are chasing a rainbow. You will never recoup what you spend to get even minimal fuel mileage improvement.

The only thing that has consistently been proven to improve mileage is be easy on the skinny pedal and keep your speed down.

This has been discussed hundreds of times over the past decade, and this truck was designed 25 years ago when gas was <$1 gallon and nobody cared about fuel mileage in a truck.
It is what it is.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. I've got some thinking to do. Will keep the truck stock for a while at least, but may end up doing some of these things when the other part fails. I guess as long as I don't drive like a hooligan I'll be ok. Just not liking spending $62 to fill up the tank every week and a half, but it's all I got lol. Again thanks for the replies