Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"

Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"

I want to paint my wheels and it will require a lot of complicated tape lines. I'm not sure how the look will turn out so I'm gonna plastidip them instead of paint them. Will plastidip come up even when pulling up tape lines or will it just rip and stretch?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it will peel with the tape. Just spray the rims if you get plastidip on the tires which you will. just peel it off the tires and it will stay to the rim. Or just leave it on the tire you won't even notice it anyway since the tire is black. Either way you will do a just dandy job i just know it.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i just dipped the bottom of my truck and its easy stuff to work with

if you want a clean tape line pull the tape while the dip is wet! so this means you cannot put multiple coats you have to put one fat coat but without having it run its kinda dificult but its not that hard...

peeling off the tires is simple and it comes right off..

depends on what wheels you have it shouldnt be too hard to make a tape mask that when you pull it all comes off in a big layer
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Excuse me mac. but one should not do a single thick coat. but multiple thin very thin coats for best results which if tape is used will peel with the tape. unless doing it the hard way by removing the tape after each spray and retaping before each spray. to much work to just keep it off the tires when plastidip peels off them very easily anyway.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I Plasti dipped my wheels to give it a fake trim ring look. Hard to make straight tape round lol. I did find out u as they have said have to pull tape off as soon as done shooting it. I did it to good also much better results. There is a lil learning curve but nothing hard. Below us pic of my wheels and hood.

Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"-image-3463994719.jpg

Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"-image-4135999005.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by lltoolj
Excuse me mac. but one should not do a single thick coat. but multiple thin very thin coats for best results which if tape is used will peel with the tape. unless doing it the hard way by removing the tape after each spray and retaping before each spray. to much work to just keep it off the tires when plastidip peels off them very easily anyway.
You have to do one thick coat if using tape and need a CLEAN tape line if you use multiple layers the under layers will dry and peel with the tape ruining the job this is the only instance where one thick coat should apply i did my whole bottom part of my truck using this method and it works flawlessly and i did miltiple thin coats away from the tape line and then after flash time i did one heavy coat down the entire side of the truck right up to the tape line and peeled it came out perfect and if your good at masking you should be able to unmask a entire wheel in one pull of the tape

Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"-image-2555722400.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by macsrule15
You have to do one thick coat if using tape and need a CLEAN tape line if you use multiple layers the under layers will dry and peel with the tape ruining the job this is the only instance where one thick coat should apply i did my whole bottom part of my truck using this method and it works flawlessly and i did miltiple thin coats away from the tape line and then after flash time i did one heavy coat down the entire side of the truck right up to the tape line and peeled it came out perfect and if your good at masking you should be able to unmask a entire wheel in one pull of the tape

Attachment 208411
You obviously did not read my post or just have a hard time understanding words, how to read, what words mean, how to pronounce words, how to say words and words in general. Please go back and reread my post as much as 10 times to maybe properly understand what i have said.

Also i would not argue with me about plasti dipping. About anything else sure but not about plasti dip. I am the only one who needs to post in this thread as i am the ultimate plastidip expert as OP wants and is asking for in his thread.

Last edited by lltoolj; 04-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

You obviously did not read my post or just have a hard time understanding words, how to read, what words mean, how to pronounce words, how to say words and words in general. Please go back and reread my post as much as 10 times to maybe properly understand what i have said.

Also i would not argue with me about plasti dipping. About anything else sure but not about plasti dip. I am the only one who needs to post in this thread as i am the ultimate plastidip expert as OP wants and is asking for in his thread.
Not trying to start trouble just wondering why do you think you are the self proclaimed ultimate Plasti dip expert??
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM

obviously you didnt read the OP's top post.. he is not JUST trying to keep it off the tires but he is trying to make clean tape lines on the wheels themselves for graphics or just outlining spots on the wheels... who gives a crap if you get it on the tires.. it wipes right off...

also with plasti dip if you use multiple light coats it give you a texture which i do like but if you do one solid wet coat it give you a nice smooth surface... there are many ways to work with it

BTW OTGO2 love the way you wheels came out man looks clean with the simulated beauty ring
The following users liked this post:
OTG02 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Cause im so good at it, Have been doing it for a very long time, Have done so many plasti dip jobs. Have many years research in the plasti dip, what is used in it, how it is made, the texture of it, how long it takes to dry, what the best temp is to use it, how many coats per application is needed, the list goes on.

I will be changing my name from lltoolj to plastidp expert. I should have done that first of all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's an expert "Plasti-dipper?"