Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

what transmission do I have ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what transmission do I have ?

Hi my name is don. I just joined today I was looking on the internet for an answer for my question and found this site. Pretty cool to find so many F-150 ppl in one place ! Anyways to my question. I have a 1998 2 wheel drive with the 4.6. Transmission went out and I'm trying to find another one. Problem is there is two different ones. I'm not sure how to tell them apart. Mine has a tag on the side with F85P-7000-FA. I don't know if that's the right one or not. The junk yards here are no help so I hope this works. Lol! Thanks for your help. Don
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Don, look at the sticker on the edge of the door. Thats the door data tag, next look at the bottom of the sticker under TR. There should be either a U, E or 7.

The E and the 7 are 4R100, and the U is the 4R70W. These are the fairly common code names for the transmissions.

Hopefully this helps, Adam.

To anybody else, if I'm wrong here please correct me. I'm still learning as well.

Last edited by kookookachew; 12-07-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM

Default thanks for quick reply

That was faster than I thought. I will check the 2 trucks tomorrow and see if they are the same. If anyone else has anything to add it will all be apreciated. I think I will injoy this forum seems like a lot of very well informed people willing to help some of us slower people lol! (Been on here reading) pretty cool
Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

So I am digging this thread back up because I wanted to know if I could replace my 4r70w with the 4r100 transmission? I am not sure but I feel like trans if finally crapping out at 167,000 miles and I wanted to replace it with a heavier duty trans. My truck is a 1997 xlt scab long box with the 5.4.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Hunter of Moose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect mating the engine to the tranny is not an issue.
I would check out drive shaft lengths...etc. You may need to use shafts from the donor truck.
If it can be done, It's likely already been done and someone will chime in.

What makes you think that the tranny is on it's way out?????
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM

The reason I think it is going is because when I am driving at pretty low speeds it really does not want to go into second gear, its like it tries to shift into 2nd but doesnt catch so the trucks ends up bucking, but not really bad just bad enough for me to know that something is wrong.

Last edited by BigRedXlt; 01-29-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Hunter of Moose

Have you checked to see if the transmission is throwing any codes.
If not, I would check that first if you can.
Another option....my transmission on my last truck once went into safe mode, which made it shift really hard and it felt really bad something like you describe. I pulled over, pulled the neg. battery cable for a couple of minutes, then replace it and never had it happen again. If you have the OD button on the end of your gear selector and the light works then it would flash if it was in safe mode.
I'm assuming that all fluid is in A condition.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM

Have you checked the color & odor on your tranny? Does the fluid smell burnt, Or darker pink than normal?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 AM

I havent checked the tranny fluid, and I actually wanted to change it and the filter just to see if that would help. Only thing is...I have no idea how to do it. If anyone could walk me through it or if there is a DIY thread somebody knows of that would be great. I am going to search youtube for one right now.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Hunter of Moose

Originally Posted by BigRedXlt
I havent checked the tranny fluid, and I actually wanted to change it and the filter just to see if that would help. Only thing is...I have no idea how to do it. If anyone could walk me through it or if there is a DIY thread somebody knows of that would be great. I am going to search youtube for one right now.
Ok, checking your fluid is something you should do. If is not clean red fluid then it should be changed.
A Haynes manual should have step by step on how to do the work. It's easy and should take no more than 30 minutes, maybe an hour for the 1st time.
I still suggest you check for codes as well.

Quick Reply: what transmission do I have ?