Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What is THIS (pic), welded to muffler clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is THIS (pic), welded to muffler clamp?

on a 2004 Heritage.

Hey all...brand new to the forums, looking for a little help.

I recently replaced a loose muffler clamp on my '04 Heritage. Was wondering what the heck this is, welded to the original clamp (the black cylinder). It can't be too important, can it?

Thanks for your help!

Attachment 577458
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This question has been asked a few times, and I am kicking myself because I cant remember what it is supposed to do. I know that it is not important at all and its just a metal cylinder. Somebody on here will know, but have nothing to worry about, it doesnt really serve a purpose.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea i've been wondering what in the heck that is myelf, i was changing my oil one day and saw it and thought, hmm...what could that possibly be for?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had some spare pipe and decided to weld it to the bottom of every truck?

Wasn't it for vibration dampening?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cameeks
They had some spare pipe and decided to weld it to the bottom of every truck?

Wasn't it for vibration dampening?
I would have to agree with you^^
Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

i just posted somthing in the other post in the general forum for this...its a counter weight, it reduces vibrations when the engines at high RPMs..it serves no other purpose but that, mine fell off and i decided to just put a regular exhaust clamp on where that fell off. the truck wont sound like crap or anything like that, youll just feel a small vribration sometimes when you hit high rpms
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Pity7700
i just posted somthing in the other post in the general forum for this...its a counter weight, it reduces vibrations when the engines at high RPMs..it serves no other purpose but that, mine fell off and i decided to just put a regular exhaust clamp on where that fell off. the truck wont sound like crap or anything like that, youll just feel a small vribration sometimes when you hit high rpms
reduces vibrations to the exhaust system i should say
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 PM

I would like to know what that is as well. I came home from work today and found it sitting in my driveway. I freaked out and was crawling under my 2003 XL for over an hour trying to find out where it was suppose to go. Hope it's not important. Financially can't afford any large service bills at the moment.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Pretty much, but not necessarily at high rpm. Every material on earth has a frequency it naturally resonates at. It just so happens somewhere in the rpm range this frequency is reached with the exhaust so by adding this it removed that resonating and the annoying noise that goes with it. You will also see these on differentials of many rear-wheel drives because the axle will actually start to hum.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya, that's what I thought.. I think I took mine off.

Quick Reply: What is THIS (pic), welded to muffler clamp?