Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What I noticed/tried. Maybe interesting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Default What I noticed/tried. Maybe interesting?

Heres a little something that may interest a few.
I had a 2000 ext-cab 5.4 2wd with 3.55s with tow package (2 valve per cylinder engine) that I drove something like 7 years & put like 150,000 miles on it myself before saleing it with a total of a little over 200,000.

I drove my truck for a few years with the stock exhaust except for a pipe that had replaced the muffler.
(The tone sounded as if it had dual exhaust but without the echo chop you get with 2 pipes)

Anyhow after reading this of a 2005 4.6 (2 valve per cylinder) engine.

I decided then that being I didn't have a tuner (& I didn't plan on getting 1 do to cost) to see if I would gain any torque I may had lost from the lean A/F ratio (due to the higher flowing exhaust) that I would put my stock muffler back on (I had it stored in my barn).
I flanged the muffler & pipes to allow me to play with it some.

1st I tried it all stock & noticed it had better part throttle pull but fell off quick.
2nd I removed the tailpipe & it had better pull at part throttle with out the quick fall off.
3rd I tried It with no muffler or tailpipe & it just felt like it fell on its face & was very loud with no decent tone at all (s**ked) LoL.

So I ended up running that 2000 truck with the stock quiet muffler with no tail pipe. I do right much towing & it did pull better. I was planning to run a 3" pipe after the muffler but ended up saleing the truck before I did.

"I didn't have a tuner" but these where the mods I did have & the 1st 4 was what I noticed that helped part throttle acceleration the most even though it was minimal.
1-Removed the tailpipe,
2-Electric fan,
3-K&N filter,
4-Removed the snorkel but later modified stock air box with a larger opening,
I noticed the easier I allowed the air to get to the air-filter the more part throttle I noticed.
(I didn't go off road so this didn't concern me.)

5-Restriction pipe removed from the intake pipe elbow.
6-Ported the upper aluminum intake/elbow.
7-Ported the front of the throttle body to match the butterfly throat. (I think I lost a little part throttle doing this but didn't recheck it with a non-ported 1)

The only issues I had with my 2000 was the alternator went out around 100,000 miles & sometime around or over 150,000 the ball joints & the rear ABS sensor went bad.

Quick Reply: What I noticed/tried. Maybe interesting?