Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

what the hell!! boned!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 PM
ford till I die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry what the hell!! boned!

I have a hole the size of a needle in the head of my engine right below the thermostat housing so my truck gushes coolant. how the hell did this get there?? the shop checked for electrolosis and there wasnt any high voltage. and what would you guys do??? i think i might try and just jb weld it for a quick fix for now
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JB weld should hold, make sure the metal is real clean. That is freaking weird, you can have it welded if it is on the aluminum, just make sure that you disconnect the battery and computers before hand or you will fry them.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 PM
ford till I die

Originally Posted by AFSOCSGT
JB weld should hold, make sure the metal is real clean. That is freaking weird, you can have it welded if it is on the aluminum, just make sure that you disconnect the battery and computers before hand or you will fry them.
yea i was told that if i get it welded they would have to remove the whole head. im still so stumped on how this hole got to be there
Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible manufacturing defect, aluminum corrodes, but still strange.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
ford till I die

and also ive gone through 5 hetaer cores in the last two years. should i just get a new truck thats basically the same and switch all my aftermarket stuff to it? i cant really sell the truck cuz it has a salvage title on it so its only worth about $900
Old 11-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you've gone through 5 heater cores in two years and now a hole in the cylinder head, you have a problem. Do you have a big stereo amplifier in the truck? Does the power cable run anywhere near the heater core? I'd say you do have an electrolysis problem.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
ford till I die

Originally Posted by kingsandman
If you've gone through 5 heater cores in two years and now a hole in the cylinder head, you have a problem. Do you have a big stereo amplifier in the truck? Does the power cable run anywhere near the heater core? I'd say you do have an electrolysis problem.

i have a kenwood deck and thats it. but the heater core problem started when my truck was 100% stock. and my truck has ben tested for electrolisis 3 times now and every time they have said it dosnt have it
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

5 heater cores in 2 years is no where even close to normal. Something's causing them to fail. Pressure test the cooling system with it running. I could see a blown head gasket pressurizing the cooling system enough to wreck a heater core, but not the cylinder head. Rule it out anyways.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did the cores burst or were there holes in them. Read this on electrolysis and do the test yourself. http://www.myradshop.com/information/electrolysis.htm and http://www.completeradiators.com/articles/34.htm One thing to check is the starter circuit. Have someone start the engine while you are testing. This is often overlooked when testing for electrolysis.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM
ford till I die

Originally Posted by TheJMC
Did the cores burst or were there holes in them. Read this on electrolysis and do the test yourself. http://www.myradshop.com/information/electrolysis.htm and http://www.completeradiators.com/articles/34.htm One thing to check is the starter circuit. Have someone start the engine while you are testing. This is often overlooked when testing for electrolysis.
idk anyone that has a volt meter or else i would do all the tests right now. i work at a napa thats connected to an autoshop so i will have to wait until monday to do anything to my truck. I think the heater cores were just getting holes in them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what the hell!! boned!