Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

wet ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wet ignition coils

So it seems after any type of heavy rain storm or even a puddle the size of a teacup my F-150 shakes in it's boots... literally. Every time it rains hard or I have to drive through a puddle I end up replacing an ignition coil because my engine is miss firing violently. It's getting slightly embarrassing when we have to take my girlfriends honda fit because my truck can't drive in heavy rain because it might break. Don't get me wrong, I love my F-150 to death but for gods sake has anyone figured out a way to keep water out of the ignition coils?? This seems like a serious engineering flaw in the design of this truck by ford to not have these ignition coils WATER TIGHT. I would have thought out of all of their vehicles a truck should be able to handle a heavy rain... Thanks guys, any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
team ramrod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a similar issue going on now but mine is missfiring on cyl 3 because the mount broke on the intake, BUT my intake's leak has got 5X worse so i'm just going to throw a new intake on it this weekend..

as far as your problem, if it is in fact water getting on the coils, maybe its not the coils fault, have you checked the seal on the back side of the hood? or maybe check in the potential "splash area" around the wheel wells in the engine bay for a bare wire?
i'm not doubting your problem but my cylinder #1 plug & coil is swimming from my intake leak.. also, are you using motorcraft coils? cheap coils could also be a problem..
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm going to try and check that seal on the hood out. As far as the coils go, yes I still use motorcraft.. I guess I didn't really thing about the splash guards in the wheel wells. That could very well be the major source of water.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:24 PM

If you have the COP stlye ignition, try replacing your coil boots. I just replaced mine and it helped the truck run better. They were 20 buck on Ebay.

Mine would run like crap after a engine bath. With the new boots and one new coil (#3) in place, I would like to spray the engine again to see if the boots really helped keep the water out of the plug holes.

I just closed out a whole forum under "coil advice" describing my isues.

BTW, mine would run crappy on wet days too, but only for about the first 5 miles.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you using di electric grease in the boots? X2 on the checking the boots and wheel well liners. Should be fairly dry in there.

Quick Reply: wet ignition coils