Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Weird Popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Weird Popping noise

Hey everyone,

When i was driving today and turning i noticed a creaking and popping noise coming from the front passenger side of my truck. When i got home, I had a friend turn the steering wheel a few times and it was making a really bad creaking noise. Now i am not very knowledgeable about working on or diagnosing suspension parts so i took a few pictures. Im hoping you guys could help me out!!

I have a feeling the upper and lower control arms are messed up judging by the pictures and where the sound was coming from?
Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Ball joints? I had similar issue and sounds that ended up being a lower ball joint on that same side. That is pretty common on these trucks
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhite
Maybe Ball joints? I had similar issue and sounds that ended up being a lower ball joint on that same side. That is pretty common on these trucks
yeah that's what i was thinking as well, its just i had mine replaced a year ago along with the upper/lower control arms, tie rod ends and bushings :/ hoping they didn't wear out already
Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 AM
'04 Heritage XLT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the sway bar bushing bar. My truck was making a real bad squeaking over bumps. It turns out instead of 4 bushings per bar. One had 1 bushing other only had 2. Also, my trick had a clicking/popping. Swore it was front, turns out it was the rear emergency brake pads loose behind the rotor. Just some ideas if you can't find anything up front.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you have some dry suspension parts. I see the ball joints are greasable, I would shoot some grease in them. Noise may go away. These trucks did have problems with the pitman arms creeking, but you say the noise is from the pass side so most likely not. Another thing to try would be to put a wrench on the tie rod adjuster, see if that makes it creek.

Quick Reply: Weird Popping noise