Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Using ECM battery saver on F150 PATS system

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Using ECM battery saver on F150 PATS system

Hi All, we have a 2001 F150 Supercrew (2 wheel drive, 5.4L) and we always have a nightmare trying to start the truck after changing the battery. Every single time we buy a new battery, take the old one out and put the new one in, the truck will not start. We have had the places we take the truck to to put in a new battery have the same problem. Everyone blames it on the PATS system. After scouring the internet for different ways to get the truck started after changing the battery, and trying several methods, we have eventually been able to get it going, at least until the next time the battery is taken out or disconnected. And, sometimes the method that worked last time, doesn't work the next time. Really a pain in the butt!

I have seen on the internet ECM battery savers, either 9 volt or 12 volt versions, that you hook-up through the cigarette lighter/convenience outlet,that are supposed to hold all the ECM settings while the vehicle battery is changed. Has anyone used this type of device before? Do they work? Will it work to keep the PATS system from stopping the truck from starting? If not, is there another or better device that will work? I am really tired of the nightmare of the PATS system preventing the truck from starting whenever the battery is changed or disconnected.

Thanks in advance to all who offer help and advice!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Why are you buying new batteries so often? I'd be more concerned with the frequency at which you're needing new batteries. What brand are you buying?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I probably should have put more information in my post. In the past, whenever we have changed out the battery for a new one, we have the PATS starting issue. I had work done at a Ford dealership once and right after we paid for the repair, then drove home, we couldn't get the truck to start 10 minutes later. We called the dealer and the service manager came to our house (now that's customer service). Anyway, he removed the negative battery terminal for about 5 or 10 minutes, then once he reattached the battery cable to the negative cable, he told me to push one of the buttons on the key remote. I did and then we had no more problems. The guy told me there is a little 'glitch' in some Fords and this is all it takes to get them started. We didn't have any more problems until a few years later when the battery died and had to be replaced.

My first thought was thanks for coming over to our house and getting the truck started. Later I was thinking if there is some kind of 'glitch' that a Ford dealership service manager knows about, that means he has seen it a few times. And I am sure that the Ford Motor Company knows about it. So why don't they fix it? Oh well, just like a lot of things I guess. Anyway, over the years, whenever the battery was changed or removed for other work, we have gone through this PATS issue. However, the 'remove the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and then click the remote with-in 10 seconds of reconnecting method' doesn't work anymore. I have googled the problem and there are lots and lots of posts about the same PATS issue so I know I am not alone.

In any event, the last time I had the hood up on the F150 I noticed the date on the battery life means that it is almost due to be replaced and I am looking for a way to prevent the no-start problem that always happens when the battery is changed. I saw the little 9 and 12 volt battery savers on Amazon and I wondered if anyone here had the same problem, and/or if anyone had ever used these type of devices before. When I google these devices there are a few posts about there being a chance to cause some troubles if you use them and I don't want to add to my problems.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

I have never had a problem with any ford.

Quick Reply: Using ECM battery saver on F150 PATS system