Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

upgrade/installation information

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default upgrade/installation information

Hi,
I recently purchased my first Ford, a 2003 F150 Supercrew and I love it. I am trying to upgrade a few items and thought someone here could help me with either information or a place I can find it.. two upgrades I am hope to do is to replace my stock power side view mirrors with ones that also have the turn signal flashers built in. The other option I am planning on installing is a HomeLink unit into the headliner. My questions are the following:

To loosen the headliner far enough to get access to the wires for tapping in for a Hot and Ground, I know I have to remove the screws holding the visor. However, I did not see any obvious screws or fittings that hold the center console with the sunglass and other storage bins in the overhead center unit. Can anyone tell me where and how many screws I need to loosen and remove the bins to access the wires?

My other question is what kind of body clips hold the door panels on as I feel I have to remove the panels in order to swap out the mirrors. Lastly, does anyone know if the wiring to accommodate the Turn signal feature is built into the wire connector on vehicles which were not equipped with this feature such that I only have to swap the two mirrors out?

Thanks for any information you provide and for your time...

Geoff
Old 03-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the mirror swap myself. Its a plug and play deal. Do have to remove door panel. 2 screws at bottem of panel, pop off door handle trim, screw in there and pop switch trim and theres a bolt in there. Careful when pulling panel off! Dont yank it or youll rip your door light out. Take your door speaker out it helps to fish the wire through the small holes, when you put your new side mirror
Old 03-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

To get the overhead console off you pull the screw in the front part of it then pop the clips in the back part. You open the back door I think it's the garage door opener but you open that and like 3/4 back is a clip on each side you pop with a screw driver.
The following users liked this post:
Winstonsaxonsdad (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks Jacob.. sorry for the delay in thanking you.. been a long stretch (8) of work 13 hr work days in a row!!! No time to write or to try out your advice... but today I have the day off so I am going to try to loosen the headliner and get this wired up.. am I correct that the screw is inside the front most compartment of the overhead console? Then the clips in the rearmost compartment?..I will probably have already tried this by the time you read this but appreciate your help...

geoff
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Winstonsaxonsdad
Thanks Jacob.. sorry for the delay in thanking you.. been a long stretch (8) of work 13 hr work days in a row!!! No time to write or to try out your advice... but today I have the day off so I am going to try to loosen the headliner and get this wired up.. am I correct that the screw is inside the front most compartment of the overhead console? Then the clips in the rearmost compartment?..I will probably have already tried this by the time you read this but appreciate your help... geoff

No sir the very front of the whole deal. In front of the display and everything. No worries.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM

HI Jacob,
Just an update to thank you for your help on the headliner. Your instructions were spot on!! I hadn't seen the screw in the front of the console when I first looked but found it after I got your email. I was able to remove the cover and loosen the headliner after removing the visor screws. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a suitable area to install the Homelink. It appears that the areas where the module would fit behind the headliner were not suitable for installing the Homelink and areas where I could see the Homelink, didn't have a pocket sufficient to hold the module without protruding on the headliner itself.. Think I might have to find a flatter module or one with a remote switch so I can install the bulky module in one place, and a flatter switch in another place. Regardless, thanks for your help. It was invaluable.

Geoff

Quick Reply: upgrade/installation information