Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default True Duals

Finally got the true duals installed. The shop did an excellant job. I brought the X-pipe and a couple of Classic Chambered Exhaust mufflers. More people should look into this style of straight thru muffler. I had it done friday and haven't turned on the radio yet. What an exhaust note.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Northwoods4x4

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we need videos!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM
crush a little car today

Originally Posted by 97maroon4x4
we need videos!
Damn shudda got a pic while i was admiring the installation.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Put up some pics of your setup
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
crush a little car today

I should after this cold spell goes away next week. The wind chill is a bit rough now.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the point of the x pipe
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Didn't get the true duals but I'm getting my cherry bomb extreme SI/DO installed next week with the pipes out in front of the rear tires. Hope it stacks up in sound with the true duals though
Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kaboom10
Finally got the true duals installed. The shop did an excellant job. I brought the X-pipe and a couple of Classic Chambered Exhaust mufflers. More people should look into this style of straight thru muffler. I had it done friday and haven't turned on the radio yet. What an exhaust note.
Technically it's straight through, but not really as it falls into the same catagory as a glass pack with the louvers. Louvers= turbulence which is why they don't perform as well as a true perforated straight through muffler. Most do it for sound anyways so if it floats your boat we're happy.

Originally Posted by adam.dillard.123
Maximize scavenging and equalize the exhaust pulses.

https://www.f150forum.com/f11/exhaus...re-myth-78102/
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
crush a little car today

Originally Posted by adam.dillard.123
When an engine starts its exhaust stroke, the piston moves up the cylinder bore, decreasing the total chamber volume. When the exhaust valve opens, the high pressure exhaust gas escapes into the exhaust manifold or header, creating an exhaust pulse comprising three main parts: The high-pressure head is created by the large pressure difference between the exhaust in the combustion chamber and the atmospheric pressure outside of the exhaust system. As the exhaust gases equalize between the combustion chamber and the atmosphere, the difference in pressure decreases and the exhaust velocity decreases. This forms the medium-pressure body component of the exhaust pulse. The remaining exhaust gas forms the low-pressure tail component. This tail component may initially match ambient atmospheric pressure, but the momentum of the high- and medium- pressure components reduces the pressure in the combustion chamber to a lower-than-atmospheric level. This relatively low pressure helps to extract all the combustion products from the cylinder and induct the intake charge during the overlap period when both intake and exhaust valves are partially open. The effect is known as scavenging. Length, cross-sectional area, and shaping of the exhaust ports and pipeworks influences the degree of scavenging effect, and the engine speed range over which scavenging occurs.
The magnitude of the exhaust scavenging effect is a direct function of the velocity of the high and medium pressure components of the exhaust pulse. Performance headers work to increase the exhaust velocity as much as possible. One technique is tuned-length primary tubes. This technique attempts to time the occurrence of each exhaust pulse, to occur one after the other in succession while still in the exhaust system. The lower pressure tail of an exhaust pulse then serves to create a greater pressure difference between the high pressure head of the next exhaust pulse, thus increasing the velocity of that exhaust pulse. In V6 and V8 engines where there is more than one exhaust bank, Y-pipes and X-pipes work on the same principle of using the low pressure component of an exhaust pulse to increase the velocity of the next exhaust pulse.
Great care must be used when selecting the length and diameter of the primary tubes. Tubes that are too large will cause the exhaust gas to expand and slow down, decreasing the scavenging effect. Tubes that are too small will create exhaust flow resistance which the engine must work to expel the exhaust gas from the chamber, reducing power and leaving exhaust in the chamber to dilute the incoming intake charge. Since engines produce more exhaust gas at higher speeds, the header(s) are tuned to a particular engine speed range according to the intended application. Typically, wide primary tubes offer the best gains in power and torque at higher engine speeds, while narrow tubes offer the best gains at lower speeds.
Many headers are also resonance tuned, to utilize the low-pressure reflected wave rarefaction pulse which can help scavenging the combustion chamber during valve overlap. This pulse is created in all exhaust systems each time a change in density occurs, such as when exhaust merges into the collector. For clarification, the rarefaction pulse is the technical term for the same process that was described above in the "head, body, tail" description. By tuning the length of the primary tubes, usually by means of resonance tuning, the rarefaction pulse can be timed to coincide with the exact moment valve overlap occurs. Typically, long primary tubes resonate at a lower engine speed than short primary tubes.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Otto what would be the performace gains of running a spiral muffler. I have one on my truck. I just bought it for sound though, but ive just been wondering.

Quick Reply: True Duals