Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

True Dual Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default True Dual Question...

I have a 2000 5.4L V8 Fx2 F-150. The only mod I have right now is a flowmaster single in dual out exhaust. It sounds ok but I want a meaner sound when I get on it!! So I was thinking of true duals and I was going to get a K&N CAI or do the gotts mod, haven't decided yet. So I called to local muffler shop, that actually put the flowmaster on a few years ago, and he said that "I CAN'T GET TRUE DUALS BECAUSE OF THE GAS TANK PLACEMENT!" He further said that no one can get True Duals on that model truck because of the gas tank placement!!!!! Is he correct or should I just go else where because he's being lazy and doesn't want to run extra pipe work? By the way before I even told him the type of vehicle I had he said that an exhaust system will run me about $450 and True Duals will run about $650! I KNOW I've read a ton of posts about people with the 97-03 f-150 that have True Duals. So can someone lead me in the right direction please!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

First off with stock cats running "true duals" isn't going make it louder over what you have now.

As for the exhaust the way to run duals is to run the 2 pipes side by side down the passenger side.

Stick with what you have now for exhaust and remove the 2 rear cats and it will be very loud as they are very restrictive. If you can't remove them because of emissions then doing a "true dual" exhaust isn't going to add much if any for sound and the cost could be spent elsewhere on your rig!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 7700 in Alberta
First off with stock cats running "true duals" isn't going make it louder over what you have now.

As for the exhaust the way to run duals is to run the 2 pipes side by side down the passenger side.

Stick with what you have now for exhaust and remove the 2 rear cats and it will be very loud as they are very restrictive. If you can't remove them because of emissions then doing a "true dual" exhaust isn't going to add much if any for sound and the cost could be spent elsewhere on your rig!
I didn't know that!! Thanks for the advice! Now.... How much to remove the rear cats because I'm in Florida and we don't have emissions. So should I just remove the rear cats and see if i like that sound or remove and still do the true dual? Also how much more power/mpg will this give or will I lose mpg? I'm new to all of this so please bare with me!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the O2 sensors only after the front cats or after the back cats? I had a 95Tbird and they were only after the fronts, if so cutting them off wouldn't thow the computer off any. The reason I ask is I am wanting to put an exhaust system on my truck and am also thinking about using true duals via a Dynomax X muffler and had planned on cutting out the rear cats (since they have 145k mi and are 15yrs old) if the o2 sensors were only behind the fronts.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In my opinion true duals aren't worth the cost and headache.. If you want a really mean sound get headers and delete the cats. Pacesetter makes a set of long tube headers and a y-pipe to go with them. It is possible to delete all the cats and trick the rear sensors into thinking everything's normal. There are sensors before and after the cats. The front ones control air/fuel ratio, and the rears just see if the cats are working. If you don't trick the rear sensors you'll have a check engine light.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJ23
I didn't know that!! Thanks for the advice! Now.... How much to remove the rear cats because I'm in Florida and we don't have emissions. So should I just remove the rear cats and see if i like that sound or remove and still do the true dual? Also how much more power/mpg will this give or will I lose mpg? I'm new to all of this so please bare with me!
Prices very from place to place but I used to do it for 80 bucks.
Just remove the rear cats and have them weld pipe in the place.
Stick with the exhaust you have! I'm telling you the difference will be huge!
The rear cats on these trucks muffle the exhaust a lot!
As for power and mpg...well it all depends wether or not you can keep your foot out of it with your new found sound!
But a free'er flowing exhaust should provide you with a more efficient motor.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, my plan is delete rear cats, cut y pipe and run straight pipes into the aforementioned Dynomax x muffler with turndowns under bed.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running shorties with no cats true duals into magnaflows and sounds amazing. No crossover pipe
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 03liftedscrew
I'm running shorties with no cats true duals into magnaflows and sounds amazing. No crossover pipe
How much did that set up run you?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

I have 4.6 deleted rear cats and muffeler and had passenger side exit exhaust it is really really loud haha

Quick Reply: True Dual Question...