Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck sat in deep water, what to do before driving?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Truck sat in deep water, what to do before driving?

Hey everybody, I had a bad weekend and ended up getting my truck stuck in what can most easily be described as a swamp. I got it stuck on Friday night, and it sat in the deep water until some time, Saturday after noon. Then it sat for another night on boards while waiting for the ground to freeze more. Today I took the wheels off and broke/ melted away the ice with a torch to free up the wheels.

What should I check and do before doing any driving on the roads? I don't want to damage anything.

Heres a couple of pics to show how deep the water was,
Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
02 4.6L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id swap out the differential fluid, other than that it doesnt look like water could of got in the engine. if your exhaust was under water and if it froze id let the truk run for awhile to melt the ice away. but i think the differential is the only thing
Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Yooper

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it into a warm garage and let it thaw out. Swap out the diff fluids just to be safe and you should be set to go.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I do plan on letting it thaw out in the garage, I'm gonna get the kero heater going and let it sit in the warmth.

How about the wheel bearings and stuff? Anything with the brakes? I'm actually surprised that the abs still works, I figured all that ice an mud would mess up a sensor.

Also, why would the diff fluids be a problem? Aren't they sealed? I ask because I can't afford the 120 bucks it will probably cost to swap out the fluids, along with the front driveshaft I'm going to have to buy.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Yooper

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do the flush yourself for around $20. Everything else should will be fine as it gets just as wet driving in the rain or snow. The only reason for the diff flush is that it was submerged in the water and can sometimes get water in there if it has a small leak. Its way cheaper then replacing gears or an axle thats for sure.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 PM

well diff fluids are not that much i dont think, and any time that your rear or front diff is "submerged" according to the ford manual,"any time the differentials are submerged fluid should be checked and changed." Even though its sealed
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kookookachew
Hey everybody, I had a bad weekend and ended up getting my truck stuck in what can most easily be described as a swamp. I got it stuck on Friday night, and it sat in the deep water until some time, Saturday after noon. Then it sat for another night on boards while waiting for the ground to freeze more. Today I took the wheels off and broke/ melted away the ice with a torch to free up the wheels.

What should I check and do before doing any driving on the roads? I don't want to damage anything.

Heres a couple of pics to show how deep the water was,
I cross streams about that deep without any problem but have not let the truck sit in the water. I think there is a vent at the top of the axle so some water may have splashed in probably a good idea to change the dif fluid as suggested. Front bearings should be ok.

Last edited by svt4cobra6; 01-31-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 AM

yes there is a vent on your diffs, no you can move the vent by extending it with a plastic hose connector and a piece of small rubber hosing, and run it towards your gas cap or under bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck sat in deep water, what to do before driving?