Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck needs rear-end

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck needs rear-end

Hi,

I bought a used f-150 in January and last month the rear-end went bad. Let me start and say that I don't know a thing about trucks.

The truck is 2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 V8 Triton ext cab with 150,000 miles. I bought it for $3800.

This was purchased for my husband, he doesn't really have any knowledge about how to fix it either and he's not really doing much to look into it. So that's why I'm here. I'm sick of sharing my car, LOL.

We thought there was a problem with the exhaust and when it died when he was driving it, he had it towed to a local garage and they said that it was the rear-end and something (i dont know what) was out of oil because it had a crack in it. So they filled the oil up and he drove it the 1/2 mile or so home at like 5 miles per hour. (don't ask me why he did that, now we have to tow it back to get it fixed)

So the shop said that if we would have caught the crack in it we could have replaced the part that was leaking oil and it would have fixed it, but since we didn't and it was driven without oil that it ruined the rear-end and we need to put a new one.

Currently the car will run and drive, but they said that the rear tires will lock up if we drive it and thus ruining it more.---although they also said that it won't matter because it won't cost more as the rear-end will encompass whatever else they're saying could additionally break. ???

So they said they found a rear-end with 60k miles and it would cost about $1200 installed (something like 500 for the part and 7 for labor, i forget)

I know NOTHING about this and the search terms rear-end are just making me more confused when I try to google anything on it. Is that a normal price? Is it even worth it for my vehicle? They seem to be finding trouble finding a rear-end for it as this is the only one they found and its been over a month. They mentioned it being 4 possible rear-ends for this particular year/model so its harder to find one...???

We just moved to this area and we don't know this shop very well...I don't know if he's overcharging me or what...I don't know if I need fixed what he says. I mean, rear-end, is that even a part? Or is that a cluster of parts? I just don't get it.

This truck, other than the mileage, is/was, I THOUGHT is pretty good shape. It needs new brakes too, but other than that it was good. Its got a lot of extras on it adding to its value (a $600 satellite radio, brand new tires, a grille guard, a fancy towing set-up). My husband is upset because I think that maybe its not worth fixing, and he really likes the truck. I was thinking of trying to sell some of the extra stuff on it and then selling it as a parts car...or if I sell it as is, how to I figure what its worth? Do I subtract $1200 from what it could sell for as if the rear-end wasn't bad?

So my questions are:

What the heck is a rear-end? Does it get replaced as one part, or are there are many parts that factor into it when I replace parts in a rear-end? What part name do I search for online to compare the price to what the shop is telling me? I don't find rear-end as an actual part.

Does $1200 sound right? I mean, it seems like a lot of money for a junkyard part that can't be warranted.

How can I figure out what it would be worth to sell it as is?

Do you personally think its financially worth it to repair?

Thanks.

Last edited by callie212; 07-20-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

the rear end is the "rear differential" u no what ur tires bolt to.lol 500 sounds about right for a good used dif. the labor might be high though. i would fix the truck if it were me. sounds like a good pickup!!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the truck without a doubt. The price isn't too bad, my buddy did that to his truck last year and paid about the same for the similar problem. I would go ahead and fix the truck, especially b/c your husband likes it, and you should have a great running truck to go on for a long time.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Price around.... Try Craigslist for a backyard mechanic looking for extra cash on the side, etc... You would be amazed at what you can find.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also second posting an ad on craigslist for someone with an ASE certification and years of experience and their own tools. If they had a shop, it'd be an even bigger plus. Seek someone who has experience, and not with their own cars.

Everyone's down and out in this economy, you will find someone willing to way undercut dealer labor fees (about $90 an hour) and help you when you're in a bind.

When they say your rear end is bad, they are most likely talking about your differential (look in the back of the truck, it's the big round thing in the middle that your drive shaft attaches to, it distributes the power to your tires essentially) and those have different gear ratio, which affects your ability to accelerate or tow.

http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/85721...fferential.jpg

If you look at the thing with 11 bolts on it, that's the differential, and essentially that leaked, the gears inside had no lubrication, it either heated up and seized, chopped off some of the tooth, or a multitude of other things.

Howstuffworks.com is a good website on what it does for the truck, but in essence, if your husband really does want to keep this truck, he should either:
1) Search this info himself
2) Pay someone to do it
3) Learn to do this himself (with guidance of course)
4) Or just let you part it out/sell it.

Good luck with this endeavor, I hope it gets sorted out quickly. And in the future, keep an eye on all the fluids (transmission, differential, oil, radiator) and it'll save you in the long run! Also, the 1200 does seem to be a fair price for the dealer though.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As stated in prior post the rear end is the entire rear axle. You need to stay with same gear ratio. Tires, wheels and brake assemblies are removed from existing axle and installed on new/used axle. No comment on price of used axle, the labor is excessive by a factor of 3. If a mechanic cannot change an axle in two hours, he should go sell hamburgers. Its nuts and bolts, and not that many of them at that. Shop around for the part at a wrecking yard, ask them if they will install it for you or look for a neighbor that does his own work.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Ok, so this is what they are telling me now, and what I was wrong about...

I was totally wrong. The rear-end that the shop had before was $1100 PLUS labor. That was a used rear-end from a junkyard with about 60k miles on it. It would be the entire rear-end pulled from one truck to and put in mine. BUT since it took us so long to decide on what to do and we never got back to him, he no longer has this. (We said it was too much money before and asked if he could find one with more miles on it.)

So I called the dealership and they said that its about $1200 plus labor to rebuild the rear-end (for them to do it), ~$2500 for a new one, or they could look around and most junkyards will sell them used for between $700-$1200...ugh..

They guy at the dealership also said that the rear-ends that you find for around $500 are not complete (just the guts) and require a lot of labor, so they end up not being worth it unless you're doing it yourself.

My DH is not going to even try to do it himself, he's not a handyman, nor does he ever try to be. There is no way that he has the skills to learn how to do this or even research it. It's sat in my driveway for over a month because we couldn't afford the original $1100 quote we got and he never even made one simple phone call to try to find out our other options. I'm not trying to put him down, he's just not that type of guy.

Last edited by callie212; 07-29-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure of your financial situation. Perhaps you can afford it, but can see the money being used better elsewhere. Perhaps you cannot afford it right now because of job/living situation. I don't know.

What I do know, is that this will not get any cheaper if you wait. A sitting truck isn't a happy truck.

Find a mechanic that will do it for cheaper http://syracuse.craigslist.org/aos/1264038431.html

Also, if you're trying to save money, you're doing it wrong by going to a dealership. They've got to pay everyone, pay the lease, and all that good stuff. And I can't think of a dealership around here willing to find junkyard parts, except used car dealerships which seems to buy their cars from the junkyard.

You may want to email these guys (quickly):
http://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/1283089738.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/1291414139.html
http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/1252201711.html

I'm not saying you have to go with the cheapest. But you may want to look around a little. A dealer has no reason to save you a penny if they can get that penny. A mechanic (especially a certified one that was laid off) will probably be more likely to help you, thus he'll have a repeat customer.

If all else fails, I'm sure you or or your DH (Dear husband?) knows someone who knows someone who CAN do mechanical work. If you buy one of the above parts truck, just swap out the entire rear axle. It's quicker and easier. Again, if money is a factor, find someone who'll do it for a warm meal and cold beer. It's always worth a shot.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the price keeps going up as you weigh your options. getting your anxiety level up hoping you will jump at the price in fear of it going up some more.

Pi## on the current shop. I think they are playing you.
Find a different and independant mechanic who will treat you like a customer that they want repeat business from, not just the latest sucker to milk dry.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 PM

Any suggestions on where to locate rebuild parts or a complete rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: Truck needs rear-end