Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Trouble jump-starting another car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trouble jump-starting another car

Last night at the gas station, a lady with a 2004 Hundai SUV asked me if I had jumper cables. Of course I do, because this is natural law for all men with F150's and tool boxes. Without them, your truck might as well be pink. I pulled up, whipped out my heavy duty cables, hooked up positive to positive and negative to ground, waited a minute, and told her to fire it up. The engine rotated once, then stopped. Waited a while, tried again. Same result. Jiggled the clamps to get a better connection. Same. Changed the negative clamp on the Hundai from ground to the neg battery terminal. Same. Got out a steel brush, cleaned the battery terminals on both vehicles to bare metal, reconnected and tried again. Same. Got a flashlight and checked the battery terminal markings a dozen times to make sure I was connected correctly. Same. All her engine would ever do is turn about 1/4 a turn and then stop. I tried for over an hour to figure it out, without success.

She said she had gotten a jump start a few hours earlier from USAA roadside assistance, and it started right up.

Like most of us, I have jump-started dozens of cars with no issue. So WTF? Bad starter?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd54
Last night at the gas station, a lady with a 2004 Hundai SUV asked me if I had jumper cables. Of course I do, because this is natural law for all men with F150's and tool boxes. Without them, your truck might as well be pink. I pulled up, whipped out my heavy duty cables, hooked up positive to positive and negative to ground, waited a minute, and told her to fire it up. The engine rotated once, then stopped. Waited a while, tried again. Same result. Jiggled the clamps to get a better connection. Same. Changed the negative clamp on the Hundai from ground to the neg battery terminal. Same. Got out a steel brush, cleaned the battery terminals on both vehicles to bare metal, reconnected and tried again. Same. Got a flashlight and checked the battery terminal markings a dozen times to make sure I was connected correctly. Same. All her engine would ever do is turn about 1/4 a turn and then stop. I tried for over an hour to figure it out, without success.

She said she had gotten a jump start a few hours earlier from USAA roadside assistance, and it started right up.

Like most of us, I have jump-started dozens of cars with no issue. So WTF? Bad starter?
I'm going to bet there is either a bad starter, or a bad ground somewhere on the car
Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 6,474 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Did your RPM's drop a lot when you hooked her car up? If so, she probably had a direct short. Otherwise, probably a dirty connection somewhere.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 PM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Was your engine running?
Do you have real jumper cables? 1 gauge copper? Not 4.

Ive seen wimpy or aluminum wire cables not crank before.
But generally thats with bigger motors too.

But more n likely....problem on her end.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb
Was your engine running?
Do you have real jumper cables? 1 gauge copper? Not 4.

Ive seen wimpy or aluminum wire cables not crank before.
But generally thats with bigger motors too.

But more n likely....problem on her end.
X2 on everything here.

Extra emphasis on probably her car was the problem. If she's been getting jumped for the last few days and enough to say "the last one started right up" she's got something dying on her car and it just gave up for you.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd54

If you can, determine 12v at battery. If it won't jump and the cables are good.....no brainer right Now confirm the starter, it's quick. Beat the starter with hammer/blunt, while another turns the key at the same time. Starter will engage at least once or twice after initial burn.

Some old school tricks never die. Once it starts, don't shut the engine off until it's back at the house.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 PM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Girl I was seeing in college had a late 70s car with 350 engine. When her battery went dead one day in the cold, tried to jump it with her cables and it wouldn't start. So I went and bought the most expensive heaviest cables I could find, you know because I wanted to sleep with her, it worked it started her car. And I got to sleep with her too.....
Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb
Girl I was seeing in college had a late 70s car with 350 engine. When her battery went dead one day in the cold, tried to jump it with her cables and it wouldn't start. So I went and bought the most expensive heaviest cables I could find, you know because I wanted to sleep with her, it worked it started her car. And I got to sleep with her too.....
ROFL, - Pics or it didn't happen...

Jumped a divorcee in a Windstar once. Fired right up. Her demeanor immediately 180'ed from helpless concern to slow and sexy. In that instant, I just new I wouldn't have to feed her dinner first.

Unfortunately the Van ran absolutely terrible for a couple minutes before it seized permanently. Her demeanor changed once again as she attempted to blame me for what just happened.

Quick Reply: Trouble jump-starting another car