Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission problems help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems help needed

Hello all ive been using this site for years and finally registered. Im having some issues with my f150 that im having trouble figuring out, the obvious solution would be to take it to a shop but money is an issue and I am hoping someone has the knowledge to my problem. I have a 99 F150 xlt 4x4 flareside, extended cab, 5.4l. A little bit of history on the truck: I had a new engine put in it around a year ago is when the problems arose. Started off as the speedo not working and o/d light on and gradually declined. I realize my issues are very broad and it could be any number of things. Heres a list of symptoms.
Problems:
O/D light flashing
ABS light on
Hard up and down shifts
Erratic speedometer
cruise control doesnt work
Trouble codes:
P1000 - irrelevent
p1746- EPC solenoid open circuit
p0713- trans fluid high temp sensor input
p0500- VSS fault
p1502- VSS faulty harness open or shorted, poor circuit/ connection
p0503- VSS circuit intermittent, erratic, high input
and 2 codes on oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2 if its relevent.

I have recently replaced the VSS, the speed sensor on the tranny, cleaned most of connectors on the tranny, transfer case and rear diff also put dielectric grease in them, I checked wiring harnesses for damage and for grounds being in place, checked fuses in the dash, I changed the tranny filter and found a normal amount of metal shavings on the magnet, had the tranny and torque converter filled entirely with new fluid and added a bottle of lucas for hard shifts and leaks. All of this done with no change in codes or performance.

Im all out of ideas now and do not know what else it could be, I for sure thought it was the VSS given the circumstances they all interrelate to it but no change. I really think its one thing causing the majority of the problems I just dont know what it is. Im starting to wonder if the computer needs to be flashed or replaced. Any bright ideas? Suggestions/help/advice would be all greatly appreciated, as i already said I would like to fix it myself and not cost me an arm and a leg at a auto shop. I believe its the 4r70w transmission, I think it had 20 bolts or so. Thanks.

Last edited by Ford4Life10-4; 05-16-2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: vss made some improvements. On cold start up the o/d light does not flash and shifts are smooth and speedo nearly works it's still a little jumpy but after a few miles the light starts flashing again and hard shifts come back. Seems to me the tranny is getting too hot?

Quick Reply: Transmission problems help needed