Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission Fluid Color

Old 08-27-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission Fluid Color

Hey all,

sorry if this isnt isn’t the right spot to post this, but I have an odd problem. I recently had to replace my 1998 F-150 5.4L E4OD transmission with a remanufactured unit. The work was done by a legitimate shop. After driving the first 350 miles or so, I have noticed a small leak. Here’s the problem; the fluid dripping (very slowly) from the pan is red like normal. But the fluid on the dipstick when I check the level is grayish with zero red tint at all, and smells burnt.

I’m not certain where the dipstick goes to, but I know I’m not checking the oil. Is there any reason fluid would not be circulating? I can’t pinpoint where the leak is coming from so it may not be from the pan itself, therefore the red fluid may not be from the pan either. Could there be a blockage somewhere preventing fluid from circulating from wherever the dipstick checks the level at?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I attached a picture of the noticeable difference in color.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:07 PM

There is also a very faint hissing/sucking sound coming from maybe on top of the transmission. It’s hard to pinpoint where it’s coming from. I started the truck and got underneath it. It’s audible while idling but I didn’t have anyone to push the pedal while I was underneath to hear if it would change in intensity under load.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Its a 4x4 so I guess it may be possible that the red fluid is from the transfer case.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 PM
mbb

Received 887 Likes on 730 Posts

Dipstick goes into transmission pan

Surely you installed all new fluid with tranny?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:07 PM

Yes, the shop put about 18 quarts of fresh fluid in. I’m going to undo a few bolts on the pan tomorrow and see what color starts draining out. I’m expecting the grayish tint fluid. If it’s red I’ll bolt the pan back up before I lose much of it. If it is actually gray I’ll replace with fresh fluid and take a look at the cooling lines to make sure I don’t see any obvious problems preventing it from cooling.

Last edited by jmmullin; 08-27-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take it back to the shop that serviced the transmission first.

If they are a reputable shop, they should at least look at it for free.

If you start taking things apart, you may void any warranty you might have.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkDiggler87
I would take it back to the shop that serviced the transmission first.

If they are a reputable shop, they should at least look at it for free.

If you start taking things apart, you may void any warranty you might have.
what Dirk said
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 769 Likes on 607 Posts

Yea, don't fiddle around with it take it back to the shop that did the job, sooner rather than later.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 5,525 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Man that's crazy, take it back in. Hopefully it's not too late, didn't suffer any permanent damage.

Trans fluid for my E40D/4R100, I trust just one formulation, that being Amsoil. The 98 is at 350,000 miles plus. Original E40D. Had heat and slipping issues towing with it at about 185,000 miles. This was over a decade ago, back when the trans was using the old Mercon formulation.
Installed a shift kit for towing (Transgo Tugger kit) and filled with Merc V. Heat was down a bunch. Flushed that out next interval and went with Amsoil. Ran cooler yet.

Regardless, you really need to take it in and make absolutely sure that they at least filled it with spec fluid. Merc V is spec, and it's unmistakably red. You need to confirm that they know this. Ford updated spec formulation for that trans long ago. So your owners manual is incorrect now and has been for a very long time. Mercon will burn it up prematurely. Not instantly. Mercon and Merc V are very different formulations. The color your seeing sticking it is very unusual, since even the old Mercon formulation was red.

If it were me , I would pin point the leak. At least enough to differentiate whether it's Trans or T -case. Too much invested to run inferior fluid.

Is the hissing coming from the breather line ? This line runs on top.

Man, none of this sounds good to me. Have to take it in, I wouldn't do anything else other than attempt to see what's leaking. I really hope they do you right. With the problems you have, chances are slim IMO. Mine had a leak were the dipstick tube (the short tube) entered the trans. It only leaked when the truck sat for long periods of time. When they sit, the converter drains down slowly. If the seal is bad around the tube, they will leak there. That leak is difficult to pinpoint. But, all the pan bolts will be wet with fluid and can be mistaken for a gasket leak. I mention this because it's a common leak for that E4OD. It's an easy repair, since it can be fixed without dismantling or pulling the pan.

Last edited by Jbrew; 08-29-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 5,525 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Also and just so your aware, you can't run any kind of trans fluid in T-Case. Doing so WILL blow them. Has to be T-Case fluid specifically.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Color