Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

tranny issue...need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issue...need help

My truck shifts real hard from 1st to 2ND but that's the only time and it just started doing that as soon as it got cold out. I don't want it to get worse so any help would be useful
Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 Triton
My truck shifts real hard from 1st to 2ND but that's the only time and it just started doing that as soon as it got cold out. I don't want it to get worse so any help would be useful
When the truck warms up does it still do that?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Yea I don't drive it when the motor is cold
Old 12-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 Triton
Yea I don't drive it when the motor is cold
That's odd when's the last time your transmission fluid has been changed and has your torque converter ever been flushed?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:18 PM

I've never had it flushed sense I've owned it. I got it last March
Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Make sure your fluid level is correct. Follow the manual directions to check it.
If the level is ok and your vehicle has lots of miles, try an additive from a name brand. The additive will have detergents to loosen sticking valves in the shift body.
If you feel inclined, drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Critical to use the correct TYPE (not brand) of fluid.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM

Is it possible for me to flush the whole thing without any special tools?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomB275
Make sure your fluid level is correct. Follow the manual directions to check it.
If the level is ok and your vehicle has lots of miles, try an additive from a name brand. The additive will have detergents to loosen sticking valves in the shift body.
If you feel inclined, drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Critical to use the correct TYPE (not brand) of fluid.
Local shop wants $140 to drop the pan and change the fluid. Is it easy enough to do on my own? Never attempted a tranny before. (That's Transmission not "Tranny" LOL)
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM

The filter is easy it just makes a mess
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You can do the job but as the previous post reads: makes a mess. Get the filter kit and proper TYPE trans fluid with enough quarts for the trans without converter. And, get a funnel that reaches the dipstick tube.
Lay plenty of newspaper down or even plastic. With the vehicle "not hot" or cold, loosen all the pan screws about 3-4 turns. Place a large-wide catch basin underneath. Hold the front of the trans pan up and tap on the sides of the pan with a plastic hammer or piece of wood. You want to loosen the pan and have it pivot back to dump fluid backward into the catch basin. When it breaks loose the fluid will run out all over. (that's why it can't be hot fluid)
Remove all the screws and lower the pan. Remove the filter screws and pull it down. Install the new filter using some clean fluid on the o-ring if any. Clean the pan and reinstall with a new gasket. A bit of silver metal shavings is normal. Lots is not. Don't overtighten the pan screws...they can snap if you get crazy. A torque wrench is best. Owner's manuals often have the torque spec.
Smell your fluid and compare the color to new. Burnt fluid smell is not good. Your fluid will be much darker than the new stuff because of heat.
Add the required fluid less 1 quart into the dipstick tube. Start the engine and let it idle. Shift through the PRNDL a few times. Let it idle until warm. It will warm up faster in D than P. Check the fluid and add enough to just hit the max level mark. Overfilling is very bad as the rotating parts will churn it into foam and cause problems.
Not changing the converter fluid is not a big deal. Unlike engine oil with constant combustion contaminants, trans fluid is mainly just heated. You'll notice that trans fluid cleans your hands...because it is high in detergents...important for keeping all the valves and orifices free and clean.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Bent Crosshairs (12-16-2013)

Quick Reply: tranny issue...need help