Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tranns fluid does a disappearing act

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranns fluid does a disappearing act

I need some advise on my 02 V6 4.2 as I am baffled by my trans fluid. It disappears and reappears....kinda. So here's the issue....

The worst mechanic in the world (who happens to be the one changing my rear main seal) forgot to replace my tranny fluid dipstick when finished. Upon noticing, I went to get it and check the fluid level. It was a low so I added quite a bit of fluid (because my mechanic said to). Well of course, it began to leak everywhere, through the dipstick tube/ trans pan joint. So.....

I pulled the dipstick tube and changed the o ring, and pumped out some excess fluid, then replaced the tube. Here's the weird part...

Now, if I check the fluid while the engine is cold it shows a correct level ( between the two holes at bottom of dipstick), but if I check fluid while engine has been driven for about 2 miles and is warm/hot the dipstick shows no fluid at all. makes me nervous to drive so I park it. An hour after parked...fluid has leaked again from the bottom of the dipstick tube.

Can anyone shed some light on my situation?
Why the fluctuation in fluid levels?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my trans fluid changed and when I came home to check the dipstick, it had less than a centimeter on the dipstick, not even close to the hatchets. I drove it back there and for some reason showed up in the hatchets. So I felt pretty dumb. My driveway has a little slope so I guess you got to be on absolute flats ground. I have a 4.2 v6 as well
Old 05-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would be more worried about the leak first, the dipstick may be ajar and wouldnt give the correct reading any way. If it drives fine, it's good enough to take it to someone more competent.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

the reason the dipstick says "check when hot" with the motor running in park on level ground, is because of the fluid displaced by the torque converter. In this condition the amount of fluid it seems like you're losing, is being pumped into the torque converter and shows up on the dipstick as low. When the engine is off the fluid drains back to the tranny pan looking like it's over full. Even if it was over full, the pan gasket and dip stick tube should not leak.

Quick Reply: Tranns fluid does a disappearing act