Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

are the torsion bar unloading tools they sell really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question are the torsion bar unloading tools they sell really necessary?

im thinking about buying torsion keys to level my truck, but im not sure i wanna do it if its gonna cost an extra 100 bucks for the tool.

is there anything i can use as a substitute for it that doesnt cost quite so much?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes they are trust me i almost took my head off putting a lift in my old ranger trying to make do with the toolss i had lol its dangerous not to use the tool luckly my bro is a ford mechanic and was able to bring one home from work...
i would go to the ford dealer and see if they would let you borrow or rent one for afew hrs or the day if you talk to the rigth person you might be in luck
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is dangerous but some guys are using a larger size heavy duty C Clamp. You just take off the foot on the top of the screw and that leaves you with a ball shaped point that should fit in the dimple on the torsion key. Or you can try checking with your local auto zone or advance to see if they have them in there loan a tool program. You probably will still have to spend around $100 but when you bring the tool back you get all of it back. If you go with the c clamp route just make sure you are not directly under it, I hada c clamp break on me under my old truck, it wasnt pretty.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 AM

I used a 5 ton claw puller it worked great. But if you search a bit you'll find a few different methods other Members have used a Ball joint press being one of them. No need to buy the tool if you don't plan on using it again.. renting is a great way.

Let us know how it turns out... What ever you use be sure its VERY strong.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

alright thanks.. im gonna go look through the shop and see what all ive already got ill post how everything goes
Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

i used a ball joint press on mine. i had an old broken breaker bar(no pun intended lol) that i cut the knurled handle off of and it fit prefect into the ball joint press. i just had to grind the point on to it. the press came with a metal piece that gripped onto the crossmember and then we just used the impact wrench. best part was i didnt have to buy the tool. harbor freight has the ball joint press for $35 if i remember right. i can post a pic of exactly what i did if you would like
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a pic I'd like to see it if I ever do it...
Old 04-12-2009, 02:04 AM

I have read on other threads that you can level a truck by adjusting the the stock torsion bars keys.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Riding In The South

cant you just lift the truck with a jack wont that take the pressure off the keys?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

theres a threaded block under the torsion key that the bolt rides in and even if you back the bolt completely out and lift the truck with a floor jack, theres still pressure. putting the new ones in is even worse since the keys are indexed more. its a PITA getting the key turned enough to slide the block in.

Quick Reply: are the torsion bar unloading tools they sell really necessary?