Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Torsion bar adj. are different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Torsion bar adj. are different?

Crawled under the truck for a first time good look to find leaks ect... and my torsion bars are adjusted differently. The drivers side is about 3/8" and the passenger side is about 7/8", why the difference and could this be the reason behind my 40-45mph wobble? I found the bushings in the sway bar are really loose gonna replace the whole setup on both sways now (got the parts).
Replaced the driverside sway setup, steering tightened, still wobbles.

Last edited by FL_F150; 01-17-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: measurements
Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My front sway bar squeaks like a mouse fart everytime I go over speed bumps. Is it hard to replace the bushings? Are there poly bushings instead of OEM bushings?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bent Crosshairs
My front sway bar squeaks like a mouse fart everytime I go over speed bumps. Is it hard to replace the bushings? Are there poly bushings instead of OEM bushings?
Don't know, gonna find out tho, they are located in the front really easy to get to, but i'm thinking i might have to jack it up to get the pressure off.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Changed drivers side....was fairly easy, cept I had to cut the bolt with a hacksaw, the drive the platic middle spacer off with a chisel. Went back on without a hitch, had to force the bushings in, they look like really hard rubber. Steering tightened up a bit, still got the wobble at about 43mph.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the sway bar or the torsion bars?

It sounds like you are talking about the sway bar. If so, replacing worn bushings will take the squeak away and may tighten up the steering.

The wobble is probably due to a worn ball joint or suspension bushing. Time for the 4P (push, pull, poke, prod) test on all front suspension and steering ball joints and bushings. Get in there with a big pry bar and try to force the joint apart. Look for relative movement and replace anywhere with excessive play. Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

Yup, my post is about the torsion bar bolt lengths being different, seems to be general consensous is that the different lengths are because of different wieght on each side of the vehicle, I could agree with that (gas tank on drivers side). But I also found that the sway bar to yoke bushing bolt assembly had ripped out a couple of the bushings. I replaced the whole driverside setup, came with new bolt, spacer all washers and four hard rubber bushings ($11.25), and yes it did thighten up my steering.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as your ride heights are the same on the passenger and driver side, you should be alright.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bent Crosshairs
I started laughing at this cuz I thought you were being a totall Smart *****.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at first than I had to get to the point,
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 AM
Mistajef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 F150 4x4 with riveted torsion arm mounts. I want to change the bushings and my first idea is to just lop the rivets off and replace them with bolts, that way I dont have a lot of extra work to do i.e. undoing ball joints etc. Is this a good move?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Torsion bar adj. are different?