Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Time to replace Upper Control Arms!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to replace Upper Control Arms!

All rotted out !!

Front End Noise? Guess what?

Well as you can see, I was getting some noise from the front end and I went to "Grease" the joints, and guess what?.. no grease fittings! so looks like I'm in for a Upper control arm replacement. I wanted to put this out there so if anyone knows where the best place to purchase the arms would be, let me know. I'm not sure if I should stay with OEM sealed products, which would not allow me to grease them when needed or get the ones with fittings so I can use up this tube of grease that I have now! DUH!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 AM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsjohnston
All rotted out !! Front End Noise? Guess what? Well as you can see, I was getting some noise from the front end and I went to "Grease" the joints, and guess what?.. no grease fittings! so looks like I'm in for a Upper control arm replacement. I wanted to put this out there so if anyone knows where the best place to purchase the arms would be, let me know. I'm not sure if I should stay with OEM sealed products, which would not allow me to grease them when needed or get the ones with fittings so I can use up this tube of grease that I have now! DUH!
moog. The problem solvers
Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

OEM or Moog are considered the best.
Rock auto and amazon have good prices if you can wait for shipping.

Otherwise any auto parts store carries them.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Moog is what you want. Be careful what you order, I assumed they all had grease fittings, but I ordered one and it did not (explains the extra savings lol).
Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Moog is what you want. Be careful what you order, I assumed they all had grease fittings, but I ordered one and it did not (explains the extra savings lol).
yeah I was very disappointed that these originals didn't have fittings so I could pack them with grease again. But that wouldn't have made a difference because of the cracked rubber. I'm ordering new ones that I can use the grease gun on this time. They are not Moogs but for 23.00 each, you cant go wrong. And I dont have a lot of $$ to throw at it right now.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

yeah I was very disappointed that these originals didn't have fittings so I could pack them with grease again. But that wouldn't have made a difference because of the cracked rubber. I'm ordering new ones that I can use the grease gun on this time. They are not Moogs but for 23.00 each, you cant go wrong. And I dont have a lot of $$ to throw at it right now.
You have to watch what you buy. Sometimes that thinking pays off, IME most of the time it doesn't. If your low on green backs at the time, what's going to happen if the parts don't fit right or are from red tagged crate off a barge. That happens probably more than I know, but I know that t does, - it's how china coils are bought and sold.

I had to research when I did this at first. In the end, I found no other choice other than going with Moogs. The first time the front needed done I was a little busy and had Ford do it. Not bad, lasted 100,000 miles without zercs. Those upper bushings I treated with a few products so mine never went bad, whatever I had on hand...silicon sealer, WD and even CAT dry lube when I was blessed with that stuff lol.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Greez fittins are not da problem. Why ya b "very disappointed"? Dey clearly were at end of life while ago. Greez fittins woodnta made em last longa; pax da greez in em dey still wood luke da same. Imma guessin theys gots as least a hunded k on em. mayne even 200k.

Hope ya gots enof monies to put soma dat gaz in da twuck to make it to her alignments apertment afta.

Cheeep joints ain't gunta last long tyme wit dems fittins, still cheeep joints.

Last edited by Tackle; 10-01-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tackle

Greez fittins are not da problem. Why ya b "very disappointed"? Dey clearly were at end of life while ago. Greez fittins woodnta made em last longa; pax da greez in em dey still wood luke da same. Imma guessin theys gots as least a hunded k on em. mayne even 200k.

Hope ya gots enof monies to put soma dat gaz in da twuck to make it to her alignments apertment afta.

Cheeep joints ain't gunta last long tyme wit dems fittins, still cheeep joints.
Reading your post was more painful than thinking about the job I have to do on my truck.

FORD should know better than install a product that you cant maintain. It's all about the $$. They make money on the poor design of products so you have to buy them again. It's not just them but most companies.

FYI :

I inherited this truck from my brother when he died March 22nd 2015, HE didn't have the money to put into the truck, although it's in very nice condition considering the circumstances he was in. I personally wouldn't buy any other car/truck other than a ford product. I stand by the quality of ford. But I cant stand by and read another post from you if you cant type proper English. What was your point of responding to my post with that text anyway? Is there a point? Or was that your attempt of humor?
The following users liked this post:
jjmcb (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:28 PM

Did u even check rock auto for moog control arms? Im about to do mine on both sides alond with lower ball joint. Moog wasnt much more for a far better product.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Tackle is one of those people who know a bit, but but are more annoying than anything 98% of the time. You'll get used to him.

He is right though, one thing you will find is that you can get things cheap, but more often than not you get what you pay for. I played that game and it's just not worth the headache. Yeah you saved 60 bucks by not going Moog, but you probably won't get a lot of life out of them. Who knows, you may get lucky, you may not. It's your money, if you are happy that is all that matters.

Quick Reply: Time to replace Upper Control Arms!