Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Thinking about selling..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thinking about selling..?

I've been kicking around the idea of selling my 02' f150 supercrew for a while now. I LOVE my truck, don't get me wrong. Since I've started with it, I've had kids, bought a house, started saving money ect... I think it's time to sell and get something more practical to suit my needs better.
It's an AWESOME truck and runs and drives great! Just need something more family oriented with accents to suit MY personal needs. 4x4, bed, leather...

What do you guys think? Think I will have sellers remorse?
Build Thread
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

What do you want to replace it with? Will it do more than what you have? Do you want another payment? You say you started saving money, but not if your replacing an already paid for vehicle (at least I guess it is paid off).
Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking about replacing it with an Explorer Sport Trac. I don't really need the vehicle to do more than what I do now. Just get me to the woods during hunting season, get me to the ponds in the summer for fishing and swimming, get me through the 1+ foot of snow we get here, pull a small trailer with lawn mower, pull my fishing boat.. Other than that. room for the wife, 2 kids, and luggage. Payment really doesn't bother me at all. I'm not looking to get something too much more expensive than what I would try to sell the truck for. Maybe 5k more. Just looking to save money in fuel every week.

Last edited by JStarr; 06-07-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

So the truck you already have paid for does everything you want and you have made it into something you like, so your going to sell it (at a loss) and buy another vehicle to save money on gas?
Is the amount of money your going to save on gas going to make up for the $4000-5000 more you spend on another vehicle and loss of the money on the current mods on the truck, plus whatever you do to modify it (because you know you will )?
A quick look shows the Sport Track getting 16-17 mpg, so what, maybe 4-5 mpg better than your truck now (I am guessing with the 5.4 and tires size your getting 11-12 mpg?). Plus you will have less interior room than you have now.

I personally don't see any real benefit in you selling it. While I don't know ou or your exact situation, I know I would regret it.

Last edited by blupupher; 06-07-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i agree with [MENTION=145518]blupupher[/MENTION], i frequently toy with the idea, however my truck is paid for and i would rather keep saving than have a payment, and while the MPG would be better it isnt enough to justify the new payment. plus, everytime i get into a smaller truck/vehicle i always think to myself, man, its so small in here, wheres the ice chest sized center console and my 6 cupholders and headroom haha
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

only thing worth selling it for would be a new truck...
Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an explorer 4.0 2003 Eddie Bauer. It doesn't get any better than mpg than a 4.6 supercrew my parents had. Also that extra 6 inches in width is sure missed. I pull a small utility trailer with it, I've pulled a uhaul trailer with it. And it just doesn't have the umph, (not even compared to my 4.2 F150 beater).

Now the explorer 4.0 is a great platform, in High School I had my dad's old 98 Ranger with 180,000miles on it (it was used to read meters in a county of muddy dirt roads.) ran great until I flipped it. My explorer has 165,000 on it now. I just redid the exhaust because the cats collapsed into the muffler. I plan on keeping it until at least 200K then replacing with either a screw/expedition.

So if you go with the sporttrac you'll have something that will last a while. However, the space you lose is not worth it. I drove a 4door Nissan frontier for a while. The bed is just to small for any practical purpose. The room in the rear seats was less than the pathfinder equivalent do to trying to fit a bed on the same frame. Now Ford > Nissan in every way, but just know that it will be a significant downgrade in capability and comfort. My Explorer has a sunroof so the head room is horrible.

Think of it from a money stand point. A 5.4 gets about 12 city, my explorer gets 16city 4 miles per gallon difference. If you trade, your gas bill may go from $200/month to $175/month. Then add a $300 car payment to that and you're losing $275/month all in the name of fuel economy.

I vote NO, but it's ultimately your decision, and my vote doesn't count.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

it would make sense if you got something with really low miles if your truck has a ton of miles...

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling..?