Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Swapping parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping parts

So.... P430....swap out o2 sensor from my 96 5.0 explorer (pretty new sensor, and trying to make dang sure it isn't catalytic failing). Drove around about 30 minutes and WHAMMO! Code did not reappear!

1997 f150 4.6 W 4x4 (screw, supercab, whatever you wanna call it)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 5,537 Likes on 4,619 Posts

Whammo lol, yea those sensors don't lie if bad, it'll be back. Might take a little time, it has to fail 3 consecutive self tests.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Whammo lol, yea those sensors don't lie if bad, it'll be back. Might take a little time, it has to fail 3 consecutive self tests.
Cat bank 2 below efficiency is reported by the o2 sensor behind the cat though, as it is the only sensor that COULD report this code, correct? SO, trying to eliminate things without spending money (2 sets of tires this coming week, and 1 set of pads and rotors on wife's pilot cause I don't have time to do it), so money is tight for the truck, and don't want to replace something I don't have to!

If I am wrong let me know other possible causes. Curious.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts
Unhappy

Got similar code on wife's pilot. On WARM UP cat., Not even affecting tailpipe emission.

Can only use $$$ Honda cats, aftermarket doesn't have enough platinum and code will come back.

Blew it out with air. Code went away for 2 yrs. Now it's back.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jsero
Cat bank 2 below efficiency is reported by the o2 sensor behind the cat though, as it is the only sensor that COULD report this code, correct? SO, trying to eliminate things without spending money (2 sets of tires this coming week, and 1 set of pads and rotors on wife's pilot cause I don't have time to do it), so money is tight for the truck, and don't want to replace something I don't have to!

If I am wrong let me know other possible causes. Curious.
Usually IME anyway, 420/430 is either one of the converters on that side or a leak, -before or at the sensor. The Y, EGR pipe or manifolds. To help explain, check this site out and save it to your arsenal, it's good, used it for years for these trucks, -

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/catmonitor.htm

Also, you can use a shop vac in blower mode to check for leaks anywhere in the system, -works very well. A shop vac and soapy water in a squirt bottle. You can use a air compressor as well, but regulate it down to 10 psi.
The following users liked this post:
TheFireman (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by mbb
Got similar code on wife's pilot. On WARM UP cat., Not even affecting tailpipe emission.

Can only use $$$ Honda cats, aftermarket doesn't have enough platinum and code will come back.

Blew it out with air. Code went away for 2 yrs. Now it's back.
Love pilots. 😠 Gotta have a shop do the brakes on count of the frozen rotor screws. Tried everything I got, no dice. Was gonna drill em out but was told by ALL local parts stores, " dealer part". Lovely.....
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 PM

Usually IME anyway, 420/430 is either one of the converters on that side or a leak, -before or at the sensor. The Y, EGR pipe or manifolds. To help explain, check this site out and save it to your arsenal, it's good, used it for years for these trucks, -

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/catmonitor.htm

Also, you can use a shop vac in blower mode to check for leaks anywhere in the system, -works very well. A shop vac and soapy water in a squirt bottle. You can use a air compressor as well, but regulate it down to 10 psi.
I'll check for leak. Good info! That's why I am here! This has to be, hands down, the MOST helpful forum I have run across for new members wanting to learn!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jsero
I'll check for leak. Good info! That's why I am here! This has to be, hands down, the MOST helpful forum I have run across for new members wanting to learn!
Oh your new...I didn't realize.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:27 PM

Yup. Some knowledge about vehicles but first real truck, so, here I am. Asking otherwise stupid questions.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 PM

and yes, I caught the sarcasm!

Quick Reply: Swapping parts