Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Swapped alternators, battery light now on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Swapped alternators, battery light now on.

The previous owner of my truck had an alternator in there that had 6 splines, not 7, on the pulley like all the other components (water pump, steering pump, etc.). So it appeared that he just cut off about 1/8 of an inch of the serpentine belt so it would fit the alternator he used. Cobble job. Today I swapped alternators using the one that was on the parts truck that I bought also, and put a new belt on. Well, the darn battery light is now on, but the system is charging. A friend of mine tested this for me. My motor is a 4.6L, the donor truck has a 5.4L in it. The alternators are not exactly the same, but they have the same connections and the two lower bolts match perfectly. Any suggestions with the battery light??
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Topline Mike
The previous owner of my truck had an alternator in there that had 6 splines, not 7, on the pulley like all the other components (water pump, steering pump, etc.). So it appeared that he just cut off about 1/8 of an inch of the serpentine belt so it would fit the alternator he used. Cobble job. Today I swapped alternators using the one that was on the parts truck that I bought also, and put a new belt on. Well, the darn battery light is now on, but the system is charging. A friend of mine tested this for me. My motor is a 4.6L, the donor truck has a 5.4L in it. The alternators are not exactly the same, but they have the same connections and the two lower bolts match perfectly. Any suggestions with the battery light??
check all the connections, I've seen vehicles come in to the shop plenty of times with a battery light on after somebody else replaced the alternator and didn't fully seat the connectors.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the tip. When connecting the 2 clips, you can a hear the "snap" when they go in. I'll double check them tomorrow. It's brandy old fashioned time now.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

It may have a bad diode/regulator. A bad diode/regulator would allow it to still charge but would turn the chrage lamp because the pcm isnt receiving the required voltage

Quick Reply: Swapped alternators, battery light now on.