Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Suspension Lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Effin Aussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension Lift kits

Hi,
My truck was imported into australia from new and someone at some point in time has cranked the torsion bars fully.

The truck rides hard and wanders on the road, to be honest as much as I love it, it drives like crap!. To fix this I have so far replaced the front end bushes, tie rod ends, ball joints, A arms, new tyres, new brakes and had it aligned. This has cost me considerably since all parts had to be flown out of the USA.

Since it still rides like crap i think the only solution is to fork out the cash and buy a proper suspension lift kit. thinking about a tuff country full lift kit with shocks included (about $2K USD).

Will I need to replace my torsion bars?, also, with my torsion bars having been cranked for a fair while, will a 4 inch lift in the front and 3 inch lift in rear keep me at the same level or will I need to go bigger?...

Appreciate any help on this matter. any recommendations you have for various lift kits or brands would also be appreciated as you guys would have been there and done it all before!.

cheers
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Well you can uncrank the bars, that will lowef it some but improve the ride a ton, and you wont have to replace parts as often. If you want to lift it get a good 6" lift, Rough country, RCD are good brands to go with and you can run 35s with it, add a body lift and run 37s.. Just some options for ya
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Look into running a full 6" lift setup. Stick with Fabtech, Skyjacker, and RCD. Rough country lifts are known to fail on htese trucks due to the 3 piece lower crossmembers.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Zone and BDS are other two good brands to look into also
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

you could also just replace all your steering/suspension compenents since a lift won't replace a lot of things, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm, etc
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Effin Aussie

Originally Posted by Almighty
you could also just replace all your steering/suspension compenents since a lift won't replace a lot of things, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm, etc
Already replaced all the front suspension components. It has new b/joints, Pitman arms, A Arms, all bushings, New front disc rotors, new calipers and I had it all aligned once completed.

It seems to float around on the road so you are constantly making adjustments to stay on the road.

I'll research all of the above brands for a decent quality lift kit. Appreciate the heads up.

Does anyone know if I will need to replace my torsion bars since they have been cranked up high for so long?, I have been told they might not like being cranked back down once the lift kit is fitted...

Cheers.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Here in the states they are about $100 U.S. each. I would to be honest.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Effin Aussie

cheers. I'll start looking for the torsion bars too.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lift kits