Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

strange brake incident??!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

Default strange brake incident??!!

OK, first let me say this is for a Kia Rondo 2009. I posted this on a Kia forum and no one responded. Problem; while driving on a highway at 55mph and not applying the brakes at all the car started braking on its own. I barely got to pull over before the brakes locked completely on ist own. Really bad smell of brake pads. Called a tow truck and waited about and hour. When tow truck arrived car drove fine, no brakes locked and I was able to drive it on a flat bed. So after cooling off brakes unlocked. I have not jacked car up to see which if not all calipers lock. So basically if car is driven for a while brake caliper/caliper seize. after cooling off caliper/calipers open??! I never heard of this or seen it happen before. Anyone here ever experience this on any car. ABS problem? Caliper? Master?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Check soft brake lines to see if they are distorted or kinked. Sounds like vacuum was pulled like you were applying the brakes (if that type of system).
Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968dave
OK, first let me say this is for a Kia Rondo 2009. I posted this on a Kia forum and no one responded. Problem; while driving on a highway at 55mph and not applying the brakes at all the car started braking on its own. I barely got to pull over before the brakes locked completely on ist own. Really bad smell of brake pads. Called a tow truck and waited about and hour. When tow truck arrived car drove fine, no brakes locked and I was able to drive it on a flat bed. So after cooling off brakes unlocked. I have not jacked car up to see which if not all calipers lock. So basically if car is driven for a while brake caliper/caliper seize. after cooling off caliper/calipers open??! I never heard of this or seen it happen before. Anyone here ever experience this on any car. ABS problem? Caliper? Master?
caliper froze up is what it sounds like.

Quick Reply: strange brake incident??!!