Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Still unsure about a small lift kit. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still unsure about a small lift kit. Any advice?

So ive been looking into a small lift/ level kit like 2 inch or so. The new tires i put on raised me 1 inch so i want to go about 2 or 2.5 inches of lift for a total of 3-3.5. I dont want to do a body lift cause im not a big fan of the looks and gaps it leaves everywhere but all the small lift/level kits use aftermarket keys and ive heard those are terrible for the front end components. My truck is my daily driver and has never been off road so i dont know if that plays a factor or not in wear but my truck only has 32,xxx miles so id hate to destroy front end compnents by putting one of these kits in. I already cranked my tbars for a little more height in the front but i would like a little more all around where its still easy to get in the truck and i will still fit in the garage.

This is the kit i was looking at. http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-474-20.html

Anybody have any insight? thank you
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

What size tires are you putting on? Sounds like you just want a levelling kit.

I have that exact same kit in my 97, I clear 35's with (very minimal rubbing) and the truck look stock for the most part besides the big tires. I haven't had any problems with front end parts since I've installed it and you shouldn't either, especially if you're not running huge tires. I ran into problems before with front ends but I was also running 37's on an old truck that was seeing a lot of woods use, if you're just driving normally you shouldn't see any major problems plus it will ride a lot smoother then if you just crank up the torsion bars. Here's how my truck sits with that same kit and 35 inch all terrains

Here's a before pic stock with 33's (pre paint or anything)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

you didn't mention how much you cranked your tbars but you can crank them until (level) 24.25 inches from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender lip without causing any premature wear to the front end components (if you have a screw you may need aftermarket keys to get to that level), you also mentioned that you want more lift all around so you if you still have room you can crank more and put an add-a-leaf in the back to bring that up a little, it will make the ride a little more stiff but not a bad option
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 33s on the truck right now and im clearing fine. I just want ny truck to sit a little bit higher yet and still look decent. I cranked my tbars to 23.5 if i remember correctly because i didnt wanna go the full 24.25 and have a really rough ride

Quick Reply: Still unsure about a small lift kit. Any advice?