Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Starting problem with 2003? Maybe alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Country Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem with 2003? Maybe alternator?

I posted a thread the other week about issues with my 2003 F150 FX4 4wd with the 5.4 not starting correctly. I have had a couple different things thrown at me but I just had the kicker tonight. The cd player lost power going down the road and the lights started going dim and then the truck just quit. I know from previous experience that this is the alternator I believe but I guess I just want that reinforced and also want to know if that was probably the issue with it not starting correctly. To start it the last couple weeks I have had to bump the switch three or four times and then it would start. I checked the solenoid switch and that was not it, I checked the connections on the starter and they were good. Could the bum alternator have been the cause of my starting issues? I hope so cause now I am already gonna be about 160 bucks poorer. By the way I have an Optima Red top battery and I figure I could have been running off of power from it for the last couple weeks.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM

try fully charging your battery when your are done driving for the day.take a battery voltage reading before starting w/ a digital voltmeter you should get between 12.4 to 12.6 volts.start your truck and connect your meter to the battery.if the voltage starts dropping while running the engine you have a bad alternator.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
>>-------->

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time for a new alternator buddy im pretty sure thats your problem a feller had the same issue on here just last week and his was fried put a new one on problem solved
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 AM

I had this issue today, and I knew it wasn't the alternator or battery cause I have just recently purchased new ones. Turns out it was my starter solenoid "beging and to the right a little bit of the battery." not saying this is the issue, but I would check this out because it is about 140 bucks cheaper than the alternator

Quick Reply: Starting problem with 2003? Maybe alternator?