Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Speakers all quit working

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers all quit working

I have a '97 f150 with a Sony aftermarket stereo system in it. The stock speakers started going out on it one-by-one sometime last year so I replaced all four with brand new rockford fosgate speakers about 8 months ago, but over a period of time they too have all gone out-one-by one. Has anyone else has this problem on their truck or have some suggestions for what I can do to fix this?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

By "go out one by one", do you mean stop working completely, or do they degrade in sound/quality before they stop?

Not my first guess, but your head unit could be acting up and stopping providing power to the speakers (would seem weird since it corrected the issue when you replaced the stock speakers).

Likely the problem is that your head unit does not supply enough RMS power to the speakers to adequately power them. You need to use an amplifier to power your speakers. Run RCA's and a turn on from your head unit to the amp.

I would test the speakers before you go buy another set.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They each stop working completely, but they go out in the same sequence. Front two go out left to right, and then the rear two.

Quick Reply: Speakers all quit working