Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

sometimes white smoke on startup, usually cold start

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sometimes white smoke on startup, usually cold start

the other day i got off work and it had cooled off, my truck had been sitting for hours. when i started it, it seemed like it took a second or so longer than usual to start (that could be my imagination). When it started, a cloud of white smoke poured out. i let it sat a few seconds and it seemed to clear out. didnt notice it again. this morning we had a really cold night, and when i started my truck, the same thing happened. I wait and it kept going, and after a few seconds of driving, it cleared out. truck is running fine, its throwing a code saying bank 1 lean. could anyone tell me what this might be?

*also - it could be unrelated, but my coolant reservoir was empty about a few weeks ago. i filled it up to where it says to, and today i looked at it and it looks like its close to empty again. cant find any leaks, i figured it just needed ran through before it would show how much more i needed.

sorry for the long post. i need some help though, i dont really have the money right now to be guessing around replacing possible problem parts without a more educated opinion
Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

sounds to me likes you got a leaking intake or head gasket....
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Bingo. White smoke=coolant.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

if it were me......i would add some stop leak......get the good schitt.....like BARR's stop leak...... and when you add it. be sure to add it to the radiator...(not the overflow)... and besure to keep your heat on defrost and on heat..and wide open...... for like 20 mins... while it circulates..... alot of people will tell you not to do it... but if it were me thats what i would do
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
thats what i was thinking. tomorrow morning im refilling the reservoir one last time just to make sure that its still going down. i have a bad feeling thats it though, i dont know what else it could be.. dang. but thinking positive, ive been planning on puttin the truck in the shop and buying a cheap car as a daily driver for a while anyways. and putting some money and work into the engine, or a complete swap, has always been my dream with this truck. hmm.....
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

haha... if your like me ... you wont get out of the truck... ive bought alot of different cars thinkin i would save gas money.... but i usually waiste money modding the car... and then just driving my truck more than not... lol
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 AM

yeah i could definitely see that coming.. i never can quite get myself to do it but if this is anything serious id probably rather put the truck in the shop, pull the motor, and call it a project than pay that much to get it fixed right then. but i guess well see. assuming it is something serious like a head gasket or crack in the engine, is there any easy way to prove it before she breaks down?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

...keep an eye on the oil...make sure it dont ever get milky... watch the temps....

You can pressure test the cooling system....... pull your plugs.. and check all them.. if one has had water on it you would be able to see it
Old 10-15-2010, 01:36 AM

yeah i planned on changin my oil tomorrow and seein what its lookin like, and adding a little more coolant to see if the level is for sure goin down. well im gettin pretty tired, im gonna get some sleep. thanks for the help
Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 AM
My first Ford!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another way that I have used in the past, while the engine is cool (so you don't burn yourself) open the radiator cap, then start the engine. If it is head/intake gasket leak, you should see bubbles down through the radiator cap. This does assume that the cap is on the radiator, not just on the overflow tank (like I think most F150's of this era are).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sometimes white smoke on startup, usually cold start