Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Shed some light Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Shed some light Please help!!!

So I'm going to start from the beginning flash back some months ago(9 aprox), I had some blue colored exhaust and was told I was burning oil, also found a small puddle of oil on the ground, so I added oil and watched for smoke but then no smoke. So I blew the situation off, we'll now today when I was at the garage getting the plugs changed I also had them do my oil change too well I wasn't checking it and I only had about 1 3/4 maybe 2qtz in it.. Heres my question what could be leaking? Can't find anything just a little wet around the Oil pan gasket.. Or what to do to fix the burning issue??? Help please
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

piston rings. they keep the oil down and the fuel/air up. this would explain the blue smoke of burning oil in the engine. also a little leak combined with burning the oil can add up to a litre or two of oil very quickly.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM

So should I be ok as long as I check it once a week and keep oil on hand just in case
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM

that would be a good idea to start with. ultimately oil being burned in the engine is a big expensive fix and means the engine is also not running at it's best. so depending on what you want to put into this truck kinda decides what you will do with it.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Well I'm restoring it, I wante to rebuild the Engine and tranny next yr around this time, it should be good till then.. Right?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM

I would think so. been many a vehicle driving around burning a lot of oil for a long time
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

How is your PCV valve and have you changed it lately? If it is plugged up and not ventilating the crank case, it can cause excessive oil consumption. It is less than $5 to change and it may make a difference.

Also, what do your plugs look like? Often you will have one bad cylinder that is causing your excessive oil consumption and this plug will be caked in burnt oil. You should also do a compression check while you have all the plugs removed.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Another possibility is the valve guide seals. If you notice, a lot of older rice burners smoke blue at idle, then clear up when they accelerate. That's from bad valve guide seals, usually around the exhaust valves. If your truck only smokes at idle when it's warmed up, it could be valve guide seals.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM

Thanks you guys appreciate it all.. Now my Check engine light Came Back ON ?????? On my way home just now from work, idk why. There is no change in the idle, it's been running better since the plug change but I still have the original wires in it.. Could that cause the check engine to come back on??? Again the truck is running awesome no oil leaks don't see any oil being burnt, I'll check my level Tomorrow to make sure.. But what could cause the check light to come back on? Plug wires from not changing them?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Most likely not the plug wires. If you can get the codes from the check engine light you can narrow down the problem.

Quick Reply: Shed some light Please help!!!